Shadow help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipidragon

Reaction score
Ok I rescued Shadow aka Fuzzy about a year and a half ago. She was badly abused. Still has patches that are fullest. She's free roaming, but in her mind she's still in her cage. We guess she's about 5 or 6. She stays on her 3 foot rug, under the dresser and a tunnel under my bed and her outside deck. She's a perfect non bunny. No jumping, no exploring, only chews her sweet grass rug when she's sleeping. Really hates to be held or petted. Always uses her litterbox including nuggets. Vet says she's healthy. Teeth good. She's fixed. She has nightmares. The person did jail time for animal abuse. I don't have enough room for a second rabbit. I'm an older adult with mobility issues. She gets rabbit toys. I put some new toys in a paper sack. She's moved the sack out of the way. The sack is still unopened. Toys unused and unfounded. This bun is tearing my heart apart. I've tried everything I know, any suggestions. She's not food activated. She's the perfect stuffed rabbit. I'm at the point I just want her to die to release her from her horrible past.

Attachments

• 20221208_194227.png
    20221208_194227.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
That sounds a lot like my Red. Doesn't want to be touched, not inquisitive, very low key and now, after her mother died a month ago, I have to shoo her out of her hutch every morning, Wouldn't move 2 feet otherwise, and doesn't do much in the garden either. She's 9 now, but always had this traits and character - which still is in the range of normal for a rabbit. Didn't see her binky since she was a kit, always was submissive to her mother. If you are used to other rabbits you would think something is wrong. Unfortunatly she doesn't get along with the other does, so now I keep two 8 week old kits with her.

Anyway, I can't imagine any of my rabbits using toys, that's just not something they do, they spend the days outdoors thoiugh.

Just from reading your post, I somehow have the feeling that you are projecting some of your thoughts on her,

I'm not imagining her nightmares. I know normal dreaming. I don't know what to do. Sounds like you have other rabbits. I don't and don't have the room. The only thing I'm putting on her is dumping a male bun on a middle aged rabbit. I would be pissed if somebody did that to me. So I'm thankful I'm not doing that. So should I get her kits?
That sounds a lot like my Red. Doesn't want to be touched, not inquisitive, very low key and now, after her mother died a month ago, I have to shoo her out of her hutch every morning, Wouldn't move 2 feet otherwise, and doesn't do much in the garden either. She's 9 now, but always had this traits and character - which still is in the range of normal for a rabbit. Didn't see her binky since she was a kit, always was submissive to her mother. If you are used to other rabbits you would think something is wrong. Unfortunatly she doesn't get along with the other does, so now I keep two 8 week old kits with her.

Anyway, I can't imagine any of my rabbits using toys, that's just not something they do, they spend the days outdoors thoiugh.

Just from reading your post, I somehow have the feeling that you are projecting some of your thoughts on her,

Do you have hard floors outside her little rug area? Some rabbits are uncomfortable hopping on slippery surfaces.

I think some of this might just be misunderstanding some of what normal rabbit behavior is, as well as the body language your rabbit is showing. Your rabbit being flopped down relaxing out in the open, is not insignificant. It shows a sign of comfort in her living environment, as well as a great deal of trust in you. A scared or traumatized untrusting rabbit, would not have that body posture or be laying out in the open like that. A rabbit in this state would be more than likely hiding most of the time, in dark small spaces if possible, and would not be laying down like that, even while sleeping.

As for her other behaviors, some rabbits aren't big into exploring. That doesn't necessarily indicate any sort of problem with them, and that lack of exploring doesn't mean they aren't content. It can just be a normal personality trait, as well as a rabbit respecting territorial boundaries (not wanting to encroach on what she sees as 'your territory'). Though rabbits that have lived for years in a cage, can sometimes be slower to want to explore when given the opportunity.

With this it's just a matter of patience and building that trust at their pace. But they can still be a perfectly happy bun in the space they're in, even though they're restricting what they see as their available territory. Sometimes they just need time to start seeing 'your territory ' as space they're allowed in. And we know with rabbits that some, no matter their background and life previously, can be very slow to get used to changes and build trust. It's just their personality.

Neither does the lack of playing with toys mean a rabbit isn't perfectly happy. In fact many rabbits are completely uninterested in typical 'toys'. Most of my rabbits haven't been. And it may just be that you haven't found the type of activity that your bun would enjoy. What each rabbit enjoys doing is a very individual thing. I always had the best luck providing things that were in line with a rabbits natural behavior; like digging boxes, newspaper to shred, fleece blanket to rearrange (simulate digging and moving dirt), and rabbit safe branches and leaves to chew up.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Toys_and_games
With petting and head rubs, I've had rabbits that didn't want me petting them at all, even though they had a perfectly loved and happy life since raising them from birth. It had nothing to do with upbringing, but everything to do with individual personalities. But sometimes it also has to do with how they're being petted and when.

Some rabbits will only accept being petted on a certain spot, usually the forehead, as this is where rabbits most often groom each other. Some rabbits hate being petted anywhere else on their body. The timing can also be important. Some rabbits love to get head rubs whenever you're offering, some will only allow it when they approach you and request it(eg nose nudge, head down, head pushed under your hand), some will let you pet while they're eating, and some will only accept petting while they're relaxed and resting. So it's important to time it right for a particularly fussy rabbit. But this is only the case if you have developed a certain level of trust with them first.

Not wanting to be held is also very normal rabbit behavior, and is actually the rule more than the exception. As a prey animal, rabbits in general don't like being picked up or held, since this is what would happen to them when caught by a predator in the wild. It's instinctual to them. Most rabbits prefer being on a solid surface while you pet and interact with them. Though some rabbits can learn to get past this by learning they can trust us, even while experiencing something that would normally be against their nature, like being held. For some it can be an almost immediate trust, though for the majority it takes time and patience to build that amount of trust with them.

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threa...-me-and-biting-my-clothes.96208/#post-1124801
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threa...g-running-away-hiding-etc.99650/#post-1155926
Though none of this is to say your rabbit doesn't have some trauma and resulting behavior from her previous life. That could certainly be affecting her as well, but I would be inclined to say that it's more likely that her behavior is a combination of both normal rabbit behavior and her past. Understanding this will make it more possible knowing where you can and can't affect change, all with gentle persistence and patience.

What I would suggest is spending as much time sitting with your bun as you can, on the floor at her level if possible. Read, work on your phone or laptop, and just allow her to approach you when she's ready. This is how rabbits form bonds, by time spent being near each other, to be able to learn their place in the hierarchy and gain that trusting relationship. Having a good understanding of rabbit body language will also help you on this journey.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html
https://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/language-of-lagomorphs-is-it-gone-forever.105436/
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Understanding_your_rabbit

Thank you do much. We're pretty much together 24 7. I'm in my chair or at my desk and she's on the deck/garden, under the chair/dresser/bed. I get the day time and her the night and together as she chooses. She'll never out her head down for pets, rum to me for treats. Or tear up anything. Thank you for your knowledge. She'll be the last bun I'll have. I would love to hear her purr, oh well, I can remember. Thanks again, I won't worry so much.

JBun's spot on. Your rabbit looks healthy, happy, and has everything she needs.

Some humans prefer to sit in their home alone, shunning contact & physical activities, too. That doesn't mean they're in pain, suffering, or unhappy. Other humans are gregarious & hyperactive, but internally depressed and dream of jumping off a bridge. A book isn't defined by its cover!

You rescued this girl and gave her a life she never experienced or even imagined -- and an opportunity to live as she sees fit. You should be proud of providing that.

I get that. And ill keep going to the farmers market each week for her beloved carrot tops dumping the carrots on my neighbors. And ill keep getting her the best hay I can not afford.. waking up at 7am to let her out into her garden where she can munch what she wants. I'm proud of my beautiful baby. But my heart aches to pet that nose and never hear her purr.

Just keep with it. She was used to that previous life for so long. It can take time for a rabbit to come around to trusting in normal circumstances, let alone a rabbit that has years of built up trauma. See the amazing progress you've already made in really a relatively short time comparatively. A rabbit that is relaxed and trusting enough to lay down and be vulnerable in front of you. Just imagine how much more rewarding it will feel as that hard earned trust continues to blossom ❤️

She may come round yet! Either way she's got the opportunity, thanks to you, to live her life the way she wants to, and that's a good thing! ❤️

Latest posts

Back