Shade Outside

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley B

Reaction score
So I recently bought a X-pen, and I was wondering would it be fine to connect it to my rabbits cage and keep it outside all day/night? I would keep him in te cage at night but let him go out during the day. How would I give him shade? It can get hot in the sun where I live. Any ideas on how tk make an easy shelter with shade for rabbits would be greatly appreciated!! :) Thank you!!!! :)

At the warmest part of the day, it may be too warm in the shade for a rabbit to be comfortable. It would take providing ice chips frequently at well & maybe more. Maybe when the weather moderates you could do it for a month or 2 before it gets too cold.

Even then, you need to check your yard for plants that are toxic for rabbits to eat, for example ground ivy. And if there are wild rabbits in the area, there is the danger of pet rabbits getting worms or other internal parasites from wild rabbit droppings. I treat the outside area where I put an xpen with diatomaceous earth a few days before I take Honey there.

Do you have any natural shade in your yard? Like a tree, overhang from a roof? The problem with just keeping him in an Xpen outside is that the bun can dig under it, plus predators can knock it over, climb in, etc. The other problem with keeping him outside is that you won't be around him much.

Basil has an x-pen outside. One side is next to a chain link fence, and one side has a sheet clothes pinned to it, then the whole thing surrounds a small tree. He likes it, I think, and seems comfortable.

wendymac wrote:
The problem with just keeping him in an Xpen outside is that the bun can dig under it, plus predators can knock it over, climb in, etc. The other problem with keeping him outside is that you won't be around him much.
I agree. I don't think it's safe to just leave him unattended outside in an x-pen. Is there some other reason why you are thinking of putting him outside? You could also use the x-pen inside.

My bun will NOT be able to get out, be in any danger, or anything. My uncle has predator-proofed the x-pen and we have fence a foot into the ground..

Back