Setup for Litter Training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gussy

Reaction score
How do you start litter training? I'veread in a book that you don't put in the litter box first when you getthe bunny. You only put the litter box after a few days whenyou have determined where it poops. True?

On the wire/mesh litter box, do you need to put litter under thewire/mesh? I did that, but it seems to make the slide outlitter area harder to clean.

When starting, do you just put the hay on top of the litter or also on other parts of the cage?

Thanks!

When I start litter training, I only put litterin the litter pan so no bedding in the rest of the cage. Ihave a solid bottomed cage though, so you'll have to adapt a bit foryour cage.

I put a big hand ful of hay in the litter box and non anywhereelse. If I have to room for a really bit litter box, I willhang the water bottle and food dish in a place that can only beaccessed from the litter box.

Every time I see poops outside the litter box, I put them into thelitter box. If there is a pee accident, I wipe it up with atissue or paper towell and put the soiled tissue/paper towell into thelitter box. I then clean the spot with a 50/50 mix of vinegarwater.

Sometimes bunnies will take to litter box training right away, andsometimes they take some work. But be persistant and keepeverything out of the litter box as clean as possible.

--Dawn

Sounds like I did the right thing. Mycage has a plastic bottom with some holes...kind of like a crossbetween a solid plastic floor and mesh. Some holes where onlydwarf poop can fall though. I put a mesh litter box and puthay in it. The water bottle and dish can only be reached fromthe litter box.

When we let them out last night, they started dropping poop outsidethough. But the litter box is also has the poops too.

The litter training will start in the cage, and it will take longer for them to learn outside the cage.

I always put out extra litter boxes when they are running around because sometimes they forget to go back to the cage.

--Dawn

Well, everytime they come out of the cage they would drop a few balls. It's a good thing they are hard and dry. :D

Latest posts

Back