Separating a pregnant doe from her hubby?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neejchee

Reaction score
As you may have read in my other thread, I believe there's a very high chance that my doe is pregnant, because she had a night escaped a few weeks ago and yesterday I saw her tummy bouncing all over the place. If she is pregnant I have worked out that she would be 26 days today, but she and my desexed buck are as bonded as ever.

Given all the advice and online information I separated them last night, and it has been a disaster. My male has been depressed ever since, as he always is when he's away from his wifey. He shows little interest in food and does nothing but sleep. My female has gotten really angry, trying desperately to escape to find him and thumping up a storm! I thought maybe it was the hormones finally kicking in, but when I put them back together for some supervised time to make my male happier she was suddenly fine again, happily playing and snuggling with him. Then after I separated them again she's back to being super cranky.

Given these reactions to separation I am loathed to keep ghem apart, particularly as at 26 days she still hasn't shown a single sign of aggression towards her hubby or any territorial behaviour.

What are the risks of keeping them together if she is pregnant? He was neutered almost 5 months ago so there's no concern of him mating with her after she has the kits, and he already stays away from the hutch where she's nesting, preferring the space of the run.

Hmmm, you could keep them together until she has the kits, but, just my opinion, you're taking a chance if you keep them all together after. If you can't watch him then I'd separate him from the nest, but that's just me.

Since it seems to be stressing them both to be separated, it may be better to just keep them together for now. Separating, you risk breaking their bond. If they aren't fighting, I can't see why it would be a problem since she isn't showing any change of behavior or aggression, and especially since you aren't absolutely certain she is pregnant. If she is pregnant and has babies in a few days, keeping them together after that is something to think about. If he doesn't seem bothered by the babies and leaves them alone, it may be fine keeping them together. But of course, it does pose some risk to the babies. If you do decide to separate, based on his negative reaction to this, you will need to keep a close eye on his eating. It would probably be good to put him in an enclosure right next to your females so that they can still see and touch each other through the bars.

Are you able to separate simply with a barrier such as wire grids? That way they can still lounge around next to each other through the grids and hear and smell and see each other etc, but he won't be able to do anything to possible babies?

I've tried separating them with playpen panels so they can still see each other. It doesn't work well for them. She goes absolutely crazy trying to get to him, including ramming the panels, trying to bite through them, trying to drag them, digging at the ground and jumping dangerous heights. When she eventually exhausts herself she presses herself against the bars to rest, and he grabs mouthfuls of her fur or ears or feet and tries to drag her through the panels. Then she gets she energy to start again.

Given that rabbits only feed their babies once or twice a day, would it be possible for me to remove the nestbox during the day when they're not supervised and put it back in for mornings and evenings so she can feed them without leaving them at risk from Sammy? Or will that stuff up her interest in feeding her kits? Sammy doesn't have a violent or aggressive bone in his body, but if I can keep everyone happy and safe that's obviously my intention.

You can try, but I'm a little concerned that she will be so interested in being with Sammy that she may neglect the kits (if she has any). It's obvious that keeping them apart won't work, but maybe when you put the nestbox in for nursing that you remove Sammy from the room entirely so that maybe her attention will move towards the kits? Just a thought.

Back