Senior bunny - concerning behaviour

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We'll keep you in our prayers. That said, with his age you need to be prepared for the worst case. We had one girl make it almost to 16 and another at age 8 looked older and more worn--just varies from one to another. We've also had some go before they were 4 with no warning signs. The biggest factor you always have to consider is not being selfish and keeping them past the time when they have no quality to their life. Our biggest concern now is that most of ours are elder. Our Great Dane is over 11 years old now and that is really ancient for that breed so likewise we are considering end time decisions for her as she has slowed way down and not behaving like she used to when she was younger.

absolutely Nancy - we spoke to the vet about this when she last came around. We had mentioned to her that we thought he was depressed, and were concerned about his quality of life. I cried at her when I was explaining, because I honestly felt that perhaps we were doing the wrong thing, having him on meds. Then literally after she left, he perked up and the next day we started to get binkies again. He's starting to seem like his normal self and while I know that he could pass and soon, I feel as though he's content and comfortable for now. The moment that stops being the case, I will make that (very hard) decision if need be.

You have a Great Dane! I absolutely ADORE Great Danes.

Stan seems to be doing a little better - we've been able to drop his meds to just the heart meds and skip the diuretic.

That said, his behaviour has shifted again completely. He'll only eat his greens when we are not around - only at night. He also sits in his little home (made of a few cardboard boxes with little doors cut into them, towels etc) and isn't interested in interacting with us at all. The vet says this is likely signs of senility so thats what I'm taking it as, but I miss being able to pet and stroke him. No signs of distress, his ears are relaxed (one lazily up, one down like a lop, which is how they always are when he's content), no stamping, nothing unusual - just a withdrawn manner.

Oh Stan.

Stan is so much more cheerful lately- we even got the HUGEST binky out of him two afternoons ago! He may not have much more time on this earth but it looks like he's really making the most of it 😊

Back