Senior angora

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvmybuns

Reaction score
I just recently rescued a severely neglected, senior angora. His name is Wompa ~ anyway he has fur mites (mange) and I’m wondering if anyone has experience in this, I have two kitties (which I put frontline on) and two guinea pigs (which I am terrified to put something on them) Wompa has had one dose of revolution and we are due for another in a week. I’m throwing out the fleece I’m using in his pen and cleaning his litter box regularly. Any other tips would be amazing!

I would just keep the environment clean as possible(like you're doing). If there is carpet your rabbit has regular contact with, this will also likely need to be properly treated. If hay could have been the source of the mites, throw out the old hay and get new. Also, be extremely careful about any contact your bun could have with your cats. Frontline is toxic to rabbits, so you don't want your bun having any contact with this antiparasitic med.

Just fyi, fur mites and mange mites are two different types of mites. Fur mites cause fur loss and dandruff, mange mites cause fur loss and crusting/scaling of the skin.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/Mange/Sarcoptes.htm

I would just keep the environment clean as possible(like you're doing). If there is carpet your rabbit has regular contact with, this will also likely need to be properly treated. If hay could have been the source of the mites, throw out the old hay and get new. Also, be extremely careful about any contact your bun could have with your cats. Frontline is toxic to rabbits, so you don't want your bun having any contact with this antiparasitic med.

Just fyi, fur mites and mange mites are two different types of mites. Fur mites cause fur loss and dandruff, mange mites cause fur loss and crusting/scaling of the skin.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/Mange/Sarcoptes.htm

Thank you, the vet said the name but I don’t remember - he said he has likely had them his whole life not from anything since I’ve had him. He has the bald spots and the crusty patches. It started with an L though. I have him quarantined in our office until I’m sure they’re gone but I’m worries that walking in and out of the room could spread them through the house. There’s not a ton of info on the internet about it so I figured you guys would have more answers. There is carpet in there so I won’t let my cats in that room at all until he’s cleared and we’ve treated the room. Do you know what will kill them on the carpet? I have let him run around in there a few times because I feel terrible keeping him in the pen.

Thank you, the vet said the name but I don’t remember - he said he has likely had them his whole life not from anything since I’ve had him. He has the bald spots and the crusty patches. It started with an L though. I have him quarantined in our office until I’m sure they’re gone but I’m worries that walking in and out of the room could spread them through the house. There’s not a ton of info on the internet about it so I figured you guys would have more answers. There is carpet in there so I won’t let my cats in that room at all until he’s cleared and we’ve treated the room. Do you know what will kill them on the carpet? I have let him run around in there a few times because I feel terrible keeping him in the pen.
Oh so the vet said it was most likely the first- Cheyletiella. But they only saw eggs no adults, so he couldn’t be sure. BUT his fur is coming out a lot when I brush him. I’m stressed about this one, I’ve had rabbits my whole adult life and also worked in rescue but never have I had an angora OR a bunny with mites! This is all new to me

He's been treated so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The treatment will have killed off any live mites, then the spot on treatment essentially stays in their system long enough to get the next hatching of eggs and kills them off. So your bun should be good and you should see improvement within the first week.

Honestly if it were me I wouldn't worry about the carpet unless there was a severe infestation. Usually treating the rabbit will take care of the problem unless there is a separate primary source that infected your rabbit and is still around. But it sounds like that's not the case. I also wouldn't worry about confining him as he's already received treatment that has eliminated the mites. Only the eggs remain and the med will take care of those in 10-14 days.

Latest posts

Back