Send healing vibes to Charlie....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEAUKEZRA

Reaction score
Some of you may remember Charlie the rabbit I rescued from horrible conditions a few months back and he went to his forever home with a co-worker of mine. First of all Charlie is a girl so never trust me with sexing a rabbit.

Anyway, SHE developed a large very smellymass on the side of her face so my friend took her to the vet and she has a massive infection. Some of her teeth are rotting and some are growing into the roof and sides of her mouth. Puss was coming out of her gums and her jaw is pretty messed up. The vet said it was the malnutrition and lack of carebefore I took herthat caused this. My friend opted to have immediate surgery to get rid of the mass and at least give her a fighting chance. The vet had to scoop out so much cottage cheese looking stuff from the side of her face and shaved down some teeth. If she pulls through and gets a little stronger then they will be removing her back molars as well. She is home now and is on antibiotics and pain meds. The vet didn't want to give her false hope and said the prognosis is not very good. Charlie was eating on her own a little while ago so I think that's a good sign. I know the vet is good because it's the one the Gainesville Rabbit Rescue uses and recommends. This didn't have to happen if she was properly cared for and given food (her cage mate starved to death for those that didn't know).

Please keep Charlie in your thoughts. I really hope she pulls through. She deserves a wonderful life and my friend gives her so much love and attention. Stay strong Charlie!

Just wondering....what drugs is Charlie on? Treating this is usually something that most vets are far too conservative with. I actually have a Gainesville rabbit here that I treated for a dental abscess....and JoJo is still here and perfectly healthy. I would be more than willing to discuss my treatments for this condition with them.

I am concerned about the tone of your post. I get the feeling that the jaw itself is compromised. If the bone structure is damaged, that can leads to some extremely difficult situations if the infection is resolved and the bone starts to regenerate.

Wishing Charlie the best.

Randy

I'm not sure what meds she is on. From what my friend said it is my understanding that her jaw is misaligned somehow. We are hoping for the best but my friend is under the impression that she may only have days or maybe a week to be with her. She wants to keep her comfortable and happy but she is willing to try anything if there is hope.

I'm going to ask her if it's ok if I give you her e-mail address. Thank you.

Best wishes. This is so difficult--if Charlie will pull through it's going to be a heroic effort. I hope things turn out well for her.

Charlie's doing very well actually. My friend says she has been eating a lot (soft food and pellet smoothies) and demanding she be pet constantly except when she runs away at medicine time LOL. She has another appointment with the vet in a few days. I refuse to accept that she might die so I'm keeping the faith. Thank you for asking :D.

This is Charlie giving her stuffed animal a piggy back ride LOL.

100_0610.jpg

Back