Semi-matted hair?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuellaJean

Reaction score
Hey y'all- my Speedy bunny has some semi-matted hair on his tummy. I've noticed it showed up in the almost 2 weeks since his neuter. When I put him on his back and kinda pulled on a few of the pieces, the looser ones came out easily but most of it is firmly attached. Is he about to molt or what? All of his fur on his head and back looks normal.

3127cd8f.jpg

fc924398.jpg

He may have been sore from the neuter and not able to clean the underside as well. Once they get started it's hard for a bunny to get rid of them. I recommend using a comb to remove them. Start at the ends and slowly work your way back so it untangles rather than rips the fur out. Some may still come out if it is loose, but this way it hurts less.

Good luck. I have an angora that gets little mats if I don't brush him frequently. He was mad at his fist brushing after we were gone two weeks on vacation. I tried telling Houdini that it was for his own good, but he was still mad. A few oats as a treat as I was working helped sooth a grumpy bunny. ;)

Okay so since my last post, the matting spread a little bit so I had my husband comb him while I held him. Oh my goodness he was NOT happy with us! We combed and combed and combed and I ended up with a handful of fur and most of the mats are gone. He's now sitting and grooming himself like crazy, so I'm hoping he will clean up the rest of it! Whew.

Glad you were able to clean him up. I always hesitate to use scisors or clippers on the buns because their skin is so delicate. Houdini never stays still so I'm terrified he will move at the wrong time and I would cut him.

Latest posts

Back