Selling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCamasRabbitry

Reaction score
Well I'm breeding my Purebred Mini Rex with her "husbun" who is also pure Mini Rex (of course). Anyways I've had troubles with getting rid of the first few litters because they were mixes. Will i have this problem with pedigreed Mini Rexes? The price list is below: (And Im also having someone come out when they're around 8 weeks old to tell which ones are best show quality)

Price List:

$30 - Adult price w/pedigree

$25 - Adult price w/o pedigree

$20 - 4-H price w/ pedigree

$15 - 4-H price w/o pedigree

And then for the pet qualities all are $15 and they come with pedigrees. These prices are pretty low. For my Netherlands the prices will be higher, same as my Polish. So, is it easy to sell your babies? All advice is accepted! And questions too!

Those who are successful on the show table sell their rabbits faster and at higher prices than those who have rabbits in unproven lines.

Interest starts to pick back up in January as the new season starts and 4-Hers are looking for projects.

It's possible you'll have times when it is still difficult to sell stock when you need to.

Pam

Thanks. Ok I'll have to tell my mom that; she's kind of "in charge" of when I get to breed. Which is kind of dumb...

Pamnock: My Senior Blue Mini Rex Doe is in the pet class because she's been disqualified for having white toenails while she's blue. She has had lots of success in the pet class, so I'm glad for that. Do you think she will still have good show quality babies (solid colors) without white toenails?

Your prices seem fair for pet quality babies. You may have a hard time finding

buyer for pet quality kits. You may want to put out feelers for interested

buyers before you breed her.

Unless the blue doe's white nail was caused by an injury she may pass on

this trait to her offspring.

Roger

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Thanks. Ok I'll have to tell my mom that; she's kind of "in charge" of when I get to breed. Which is kind of dumb...

Pamnock: My Senior Blue Mini Rex Doe is in the pet class because she's been disqualified for having white toenails while she's blue. She has had lots of success in the pet class, so I'm glad for that. Do you think she will still have good show quality babies (solid colors) without white toenails?

The doe would not be a good prospect for breeding due to the white toenails. This is a genetic trait that can be passed on.

Some breeders might consider using the rabbit if it were of sensational type because it could be used in a broken breeding program or used with other colors. However, I don't recommend passing on this type of problem to other breeders - it can be especially heartbreaking for beginners.

Pam

I have never had a problem selling my babies. I have a friend who runs a pet shop and she takes pet kits occasionally (but be careful about pet shops because it's very hard to find one that actually cares about the animals!).

Most of the time I advertise on the local free ads. The most important thing I have found is a good quality photo of the rabbit. It sounds silly, but you can attract a lot more interest in the babies with a nice photo. I have had ads go unnoticed for a week, then get 5 or 6 responses in a day as soon as I add a photo! I even had one lady tell me she choose my rabbit because in the photo it looked like it would be well behaved in the house, and despite me repeatedly telling her that it had never lived in the house she wouldn't be put off buying the, "good house bunny."!

Also, I agree with not breeding the doe with white nails, you really wouldn't want to be producing more blues with white nails. It takes a long time to put that right.

There are many possibilities that you can choose from! You can sell them to pet shops (which is easy for me to do because I work at one! :)), as pedigreed breeding stock or for commercial purposes.

There is one thing I'd advise not doing, though... in my younger days, working with rabbits, I couldn't find a home for one of the kits. So, I let her geta little bigger, and I set her free in my barn. To this day, she still lives in my barn, BURROWING all the time! She has tunnels under my very feet when I go out there. Yes, she is very feral now (and faster than most wild rabits). I think it's knid of cool, but please don't do it!! lol

Kiya

Those are some pretty good prices you have there. Also they are very reasonable.

I only sell to 4-H members who only would want to start show/breed Holland Lops. So far I've only sold 2 Hollands to members in my club but they aren't any threat to me though since I still have good up coming rabbits. Which I also know the best of my knowledge that there rabbit is good to, it is just time.

After when I quit 4-H that is when I will sell all to 4-H members eventhough some of those judges don't know what they are talking about sometimes but then again different judges.

I've had the judge tell me goodthings about my one buck that gotten BOB and other breeders are telling me this and that which I have no idea! lol But even though I still have have his jr. pic up I need a sr. pick of him now he has grown up a lot.

But your sales will pick up sometimes espically during a holiday too. :) But also when you sell your rabbits around the holidays try to make sure they sign something and/or read your policies.

Good Luck selling! :)

Thanks.

She's my only mini rex breeding doe until I get another one.

Also, she's like two years old and this is her first litter. Will she be find during the pregnancy and kindling? I've made sure she is due on a weekend (Actually she's due in March on Easter! yippee! lol) so that if she has any complications I'll be right there to help her and all. Well not help her but make sure she doesn't die or anything.

I know she'll be a great mom after she has her babies.

I would strongly advise you not to breed this doe. She is too old for her

first litter and you could lose her from complications.

Find yourself a good quality younger doe about 6 months old with no

disqualifications such as the white tonails. There are plenty of breeders

right now thinning their herds for winter that would sell you a doe for a very

reasonable price or even give one away.

Roger

I agree with Roger.Wait until you get a new doe.... 2 years old is a little late to let her have her first litter. I think you'll have trouble geting her preganant too. She would be prone to complications and things could happen to her during the pregnancy and kindling.

If you were going to breed her in the spring (around Easter) you have some time to look for another girl... You can keep her as a pet or re-home her with someone who doesn't want to breed.

How old is your boy?

Well the doe is from my friend. I can't just get rid of her and I can't just let her be a pet. I'm still going to show her and all. I've heard a lot of first litters be born at the age of 2 or 1 1/2 and they've all been fine. Plus I'm going to watch her. I don't have enough room for another doe plus then babies; only enough room for babies. If I had a larger building then I could get another doe.

As for the buck, I'm not sure how old he is. I'm guessing a year.

She'll be able to get pregnant though. She's a brood doe, and is good with babies because she used to be around them. Plus if there are any complications, then I'll take her to the vet.

Just checking, but do you have a rabbit-savvy vet that you can go to for emergencies during the night? Just in case she does have birthing complications and needs help fast.

I'm going to try and intersperse my comments in your post.

I'm still going to show her and all.

If she has white toenails - this will be a waste of money (I'm guessing) as the white toenails are a disqualification in the breeds I know. Pam would know more about this as she is an ARBA judge.

I've heard a lot of first litters be born at the age of 2 or 1 1/2 and they've all been fine. Plus I'm going to watch her.

That's good that you're going to watch her. Her age concerns me but it is pretty obvious that you really don't want to hear what we have to say about this. I have also heard of older girls having problems at that later age...so I guess you'll just have to take your best chances.

I don't have enough room for another doe plus then babies; only enough room for babies. If I had a larger building then I could get another doe.

I hope you have LOTS of room for the babies because if she has white toenails and can't do well at the shows - I don't know how well you'll do at selling the babies. Hopefully, you'll do well....but that is something to consider.

As for the buck, I'm not sure how old he is. I'm guessing a year.

Don't you have his pedigree? How will you sell the rabbits w/ pedigrees if you don't have his pedigree showing his age, etc?

She'll be able to get pregnant though. She's a brood doe, and is good with babies because she used to be around them.

I always assumed a brood doe was a doe that had babies already...I didn't know it meant that they had been around babies. Guess you learn something new every day! I have also used the term to describe a doe that wasn't show quality but had no flaws that would keep her from being used for breeding.

Plus if there are any complications, then I'll take her to the vet.

I'm so glad to hear you say that. My friend Lisa just had something like six does due...all needed oxytocin...one needed to go to the vet for a stuck kit (something she normally can handle on her own). She wound up spending over $120 - and having two live kits from the six does. Of course, these were lops and Netherland Dwarfs...but she was glad she still had some money set aside in her emergency fund for vet visits.

So I'm glad you'll be prepared to take your doe to the vet!

not a breeder, but $15 for pet quality sounds good. and pics are a must!
do you advertise directly to the 4-H groups? like put up a flyer in the place they meet? maybe they could come on a field trip to your rabbitry--that would be good business for you and good info on how to keep the rabbit for them!

I always assumed a "brood doe" had nothing to do with babies, but meant they were more likely to produce good showable lines- or are pedigreed or something?

Haley wrote:
I always assumed a "brood doe" had nothing to do with babies, but meant they were more likely to produce good showable lines- or are pedigreed or something?

A brood animal is one that isused for breeding. They themselves may or may not be showable or may or may not be of good quality. They are not necessarily pedigreed.

A doe kept for breedingshould have good type and have good mothering instincts. In some cases, she may be over/under show weight, but still produce nice offspring.

When I sell a brood doe, Isell that animal with the expectations that it will produce at least one litter for the buyer.

Be cautiouspurchasing"brood bucks" (a lablel some breeders give to non-showable bucks with DQ'sthat they are selling). These often do not make good quality "herd bucks".

The doe in question is a "maiden" doe. She is not considered a brood doe until she has actually had a litter.

A primary risk of breeding older does is dystocia (birthingcomplications)due to fat buildup around the internal organs.

Pam

She'll be able to get pregnant though. She's a brood doe, and is good with babies because she used to be around them. Plus if there are any complications, then I'll take her to the vet.

Ok, I will say this as politely and gentlyas possible...

I do not feel that there is any reason whatsoever to take that kind of a risk in the first place. I am not against breeding (though I will not be doing it myself) but I am highly against irresponsible breeding.

You know that doe is too old. I have just dealt with my own girl accidentally getting pregnant and trust me, I very nearly lost her and I would never have put her in that position to begin with. It's painful, and they go downhill extremely quickly. You might not even have the time to get to a vet's. There is also a chance that the kits will be born with problems or not fully developped as well.

I simply would not do it.

I am sure that if you spoke with your friend, your friend would understand. I would put her up for adoption since you can't keep her and give her the chance to be loved as a pet and not bred at this age. That would give you the chance to find a younger, show-quality doe that would be better for breeding.

Latest posts

Back