Selling pregnant does

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murph72

Reaction score
A local woman whose daughter is in 4H just informed me that they recently acquired a pregnant Holland doe who is due in the beginning of August. I know the breeder that I believe she got the doe from and will not do business with her. She is notorious for scheming people with bait and switch tactics and being deceitful about the rabbits she is selling. This woman is all excited about this upcoming litter of bunnies....keep in mind, she's a brand new bunny pet owner, not a breeder. She has ZERO experience with breeding.

I will not sell pregnant does for several reasons. First and foremost is that the stress can cause the doe to lose her litter. This family was sent home with a doe and given no directions other than to throw a nestbox in at day 29. They were told "It's easy. The mom will do all the work for you." ARRGHHH!!! Boy, that made me angry! No warnings about anything that could go wrong, just "Here, expect babies in the beginning of August." What a way to bring someone into the breeding of rabbits, just give them a pregnant doe to take home and hope for the best. They're living under the guise that everything will turn out perfectly.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. I just think that the idea of that newly pregnant doe is going to haunt me for awhile.

I have offered to breed rabbits before they left. And have had the same done for me. I don't consider this to be any added stress since the doe is not far past conception. 4 weeks is plenty to adjust and kindle under the supervision of an experienced breeder. :)

I would NEVER offer this option to a random pet buyer though. Only between experienced breeder friends. And I would never buy an already pregnant doe any further into it than that, nor sell one.

I would see no problem with selling a bred doe when it's early on in the pregnancy. However to my experience beyond a certain point it's best just to wait those 2 (and a bit) months to get the doe and her litter.

I have bought pregnant does but the only times I had success with them where when they where bred when I picked them up.

I agree a month is plently time for a doe to settle in, however, many rabbits I get take much longer to settle in. They tend to come from breeders with very diffrent practises than I do and the babies are not use to such close contact, free time, other animals, ect.

I personally wouldn't sell a pregnant doe to anyone but a breeder who had a choice in the mating. And if it's a beginning 4Her, well, that young person is now going to have to deal with a nursing doe and a bunch of kits without having had the benefit of getting to know the doe and understanding how and why one breeds or does not breed a particular pair. Even if you know the pedigree of the buck, it's still a complete crapshoot, except you're already ante'd up.

Samantha, I agree that it depends on the breeder and what they are used to. That is another thing that scares me...this breeder has a very quiet place and no younger kids, loud noises, etc. The bunny has now gone into a home with a family that, quite frankly, are loud talkers and have a small kid that is very talkative and handles the bunnies very often. I don't think the breeder handles them that much nor gives them any time out of their cages. It's a totally different environment.

I agree that a breeder that purchased a bred doe would be more of an acceptable practice. Breeders know what they're getting into. These poor people don't have a clue and I'm afraid if there's a problem the poor bunny will be the one to suffer from their lack of knowledge.

Turtle, I agree that the lesson here seems to be that breeding is easy and that anyone can do it. Hey, why not put any two bunnies together? Oy! Rather than an opportunity to teach them something about why we choose certain rabbits to breed with others to better the breed, they're being taught the "what not to do." The mom made the whole breeding sound like it was only about color...there was no focus on anything else.

I have bought does that were pregnant. Never had a problem. Like Pam said, they usually have plenty of time to settle in nicely. Also, it depends on the rabbit too. Some does, like most of my Dutch, are laid back and are excellent mothers.

I had a doe give birth at the ARBA Convention (wasn't MY doe, was a friends) and I had to bring the babies and mom back to Connecticut from Peoria, IL. Let me tell you that even under those stressful conditions, some does can handle anything. I would literally stop to get gas and take the doe out to feed the kits. I put the box on the trunk of the car and she jumped in and fed them. Should have seen the crazy looks I got...LOL!

Sharon

I've bought bred does and I've sold bred does (to other breeders) without any problems. But giving/selling an inexperienced kid a pregnant doe without support or guidance is wrong. We are all aware of what might go wrong, and it could be a devastating experience for a young person that has no idea of what to expect. I hope her 4-H leader (or someone else) will be there to support and help her. (For her sake as well as the rabbits.)

Back