selling babies?? What you do??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistyjr

Reaction score
I was wondering, How you people sell your babies??

I heard some people hand out care sheet,feed,ect with the babies?

I wanted to know what ya'll do?? I'm kinda confused about selling my babies. This is my 1st litter. The babies are now 6 weeks old. I got about 2 more weeks to think about it. They are Lion Heads, I have 2 Chestnut babies, ?? Briana (Wooly_queen) wants the Harlequin baby... I'm lost on the selling price for them too. like I said this is my 1st litter and babies.

Thanks,:wink:big wink:

I do a base price of 25.00, (except the larger breeds are more)
If they are show buns, more, breeding stock or so more, all depending on the factors.

With them I send about a weeks worth of food to get the people started, and they can switch to whatever they want easily that way, I also send them with some hay. I generally have toys in the cage with them, so that each bun can go to a new home with a toy, that smells like home, (I find it makes it easier for them to adjust and they aren't so scared).
They also get information about the breed of bunny (if it's known) a list of Good veggies and fruits to give them and which ones to do sparingly, what we have been feeding them and how much.

Pretty much all of the above, but also an agreement that if the wabbit doesn't work, out, they will NOT turn it loose in the yard, drop it at a shelter, or give it away to some stranger, they will bring it back to US. We have needed to use this a couple of times, and it's been worth it.

The Turtle wrote:
Pretty much all of the above, but also an agreement that if the wabbit doesn't work, out, they will NOT turn it loose in the yard, drop it at a shelter, or give it away to some stranger, they will bring it back to US. We have needed to use this a couple of times, and it's been worth it.
Oh yes! that too!

I use a contract for all my animals I adopt out, standard procedure but I forgot about that part >_<

With pets I will give out a care sheet, and some starter food - although the sale I made yesterday, I didn't give a care sheet out (didn't know whether the bunny was for pet/show, or which they wanted) but I did give some food and hay... My pet prices are $25, but the rabbit was show quality and since I added in the food and hay (enough for about a week) I felt ok with still selling him for $35.

The pricing for me depends on the quality of the animal, but I sell all pets for $25, and show quality starts at $35, and that's pretty much my base price, unless I have a rabbit with lots of legs and wins, or they are of excellent show quality.

Definitely have a sales policy! It will come in handy for any things that might come up. You can take a look around at breeders websites because most breeders have a very useful sales policy for their rabbitry. ;)

Emily

See, I dont know if these babies that I have. Is showable or not.. I dont know much about Lion Heads yet.. But most likely people will buy them as pets.

Yes, I know that. But there are breeders that do work with that color.. But I do have the other babies that can be shown also..

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
With pets I will give out a care sheet, and some starter food - although the sale I made yesterday, I didn't give a care sheet out (didn't know whether the bunny was for pet/show, or which they wanted) but I did give some food and hay... My pet prices are $25, but the rabbit was show quality and since I added in the food and hay (enough for about a week) I felt ok with still selling him for $35.

The pricing for me depends on the quality of the animal, but I sell all pets for $25, and show quality starts at $35, and that's pretty much my base price, unless I have a rabbit with lots of legs and wins, or they are of excellent show quality.

Definitely have a sales policy! It will come in handy for any things that might come up. You can take a look around at breeders websites because most breeders have a very useful sales policy for their rabbitry. ;)

Emily

I'm not a breeder and so I may sound extreme lol! Why are pet rabbits sold at such cheap prices? I know that prices for adoptable rabbits tend to hover around $50-80 each (covers spay/neuter) . I know breeders have to sell many of the rabbits because it would be impossible to keep them all. But, shouldn't prices be higher for "pet quality"? Enough to cover a spay/neuter? Just considering it, because I've learned a ton about rabbits in shelters/rescues recently. I'm guessing that rabbits sell so low due to the fact that there's so many available (saturated market)?

Pet Rabbit's only, they sell the babies for about $10.00 to $20.00 sometimes more.. It just depends. But when people sell pet only rabbits at the show. They do not come with spray and neuter.

I don't think I even know anybody that fixes their rabbits here. Unless they come fixed from the animal shelter in Traverse City (1 1/2 hours away).

I sell my pets usually from $10 to $15 because nobody seems to want to pay more than that. If rabbits are show quality and people want them as pets, I leave the prices higher at $20 + because that is what they are really worth and they shouldn't be less. Some people are willing to pay that much if they really want them. I think it's mostly the economy in our little town.

I was selling my flemish for $20 - but on my website - I've upped it to $40 and that will be my price most of the time for pets. Show/brood will go higher.

Why so much?

First of all - where I live - folks eat rabbits. A higher price means they're less likely to eat my bunny.

Secondly - I put a lot of money and time into my rabbits. I spend a lot of my time socializing them so they will be enjoyable for people from the start. I feel like $40 is a decent price.

Also - one of my mentors told me I was selling them too low...that people take care of what they pay for...and if they get a bunny cheaply they're less likely to appreciate it and take care of it. (My mentor has been breeding for a while and has experienced a lot more than I have).

Two more reasons too. As soon as I join the flemish club next payday - I'll be the only person listed in the breeder directory for Texas (and most of the breeders here will not sell pets)....and finally...

I paid $50 each for my stock here in Texas and they are NICE QUALITY rabbits. The rabbits they are producing are also very nice quality - they are as close to the standard as I can get right now and they're very "typey". Even though I'm selling the rabbit as a pet rabbit - odds are good that I could put them on the show table and do well...but I just happen to be keeping others.

As far as the lionheads go....I'm going to just throw out a price here - but if you were going to charge $20 for the chestnuts - then I'd ask $10 for the harlequin.

Yes - I know breeders work with them. I know a breeder who works with them in Ohio (out of Miss Bea's lines) - and I've thought of getting a trio from him.

But - the breeders I know already have rabbits that are "typey" and they are known for their harlequins. (One person does raise them mostly as pets - but still yet - the patterns are awesome).

Good luck selling your babies.

SnootyPuffs wrote:

Emily

I'm not a breeder and so I may sound extreme lol! Why are pet rabbits sold at such cheap prices? I know that prices for adoptable rabbits tend to hover around $50-80 each (covers spay/neuter) . I know breeders have to sell many of the rabbits because it would be impossible to keep them all. But, shouldn't prices be higher for "pet quality"? Enough to cover a spay/neuter? Just considering it, because I've learned a ton about rabbits in shelters/rescues recently. I'm guessing that rabbits sell so low due to the fact that there's so many available (saturated market)?

Breeders prices on pet rabbits vary. Somedo sell their pet qualities for $50-$80 a piece, but that's usually on the rarer, larger breeds such as Angoras. I sell for so cheap because I probably wouldn't be able to make a pet sale if it were any higher. People flip out about my show quality prices of $35 when there are breeders out there who sell show qualities for way more.

Also, if people expect to pay a high price for a pet quality rabbit, then they won't have any $$ to actually spay/neuter them. Breeders need the income from the rabbits they sell, so they aren't going to use that money to spay pet quality rabbits that they are sending out to a new owner. ;)

Emily

SnootyPuffs wrote:

Emily

well for my rats they range from 25.00 to 45.00 depending on lineage, marking, Fur type and tail and body type, Show ability or not, that kind of thing.

My rabbit Same thing pretty much but priced per breed.

I have a spay and neuter thing in my contract, because I don't like folk breeding my hard work and ruining it, if they want to breed then I have standards.
(also for my rescues I have them spayed or neutered before they are adopted and charge accordingly)

I paid $50 each for my stock here in Texas and they are NICE QUALITY rabbits.
Lucky you, I paid 75.00 for each of my two (and she said she was giving them to me for a lil less), plus I spent about 200.00 to get out to get them and back >_< *not to mention the pain, because I have back issues and a 10hour car trip does NOT help >_<*

TinysMom wrote:
I was selling my flemish for $20 - but on my website - I've upped it to $40 and that will be my price most of the time for pets. Show/brood will go higher.

Why so much?

First of all - where I live - folks eat rabbits. A higher price means they're less likely to eat my bunny.

Secondly - I put a lot of money and time into my rabbits. I spend a lot of my time socializing them so they will be enjoyable for people from the start. I feel like $40 is a decent price.

Also - one of my mentors told me I was selling them too low...that people take care of what they pay for...and if they get a bunny cheaply they're less likely to appreciate it and take care of it. (My mentor has been breeding for a while and has experienced a lot more than I have).

Two more reasons too. As soon as I join the flemish club next payday - I'll be the only person listed in the breeder directory for Texas (and most of the breeders here will not sell pets)....and finally...

I paid $50 each for my stock here in Texas and they are NICE QUALITY rabbits. The rabbits they are producing are also very nice quality - they are as close to the standard as I can get right now and they're very "typey". Even though I'm selling the rabbit as a pet rabbit - odds are good that I could put them on the show table and do well...but I just happen to be keeping others.

As far as the lionheads go....I'm going to just throw out a price here - but if you were going to charge $20 for the chestnuts - then I'd ask $10 for the harlequin.

Yes - I know breeders work with them. I know a breeder who works with them in Ohio (out of Miss Bea's lines) - and I've thought of getting a trio from him.

But - the breeders I know already have rabbits that are "typey" and they are known for their harlequins. (One person does raise them mostly as pets - but still yet - the patterns are awesome).

Good luck selling your babies.
Well, The Harlequin baby is going to Briana because I wanted to keep the baby but its a boy.. I dont need no more boys and plus I know he will go to good home, I trust her and I want to know where he will be going because I love him!! We were talking about doing A breeding with my wooly with her buck and she can have the haralquin or me getting a wooly buck. I dont know yet. But I know that the babies will be ready in about a few more weeks. So I was trying to do what is best and what people do when they sell their babies..
But Thanks!

Holy Crap??? Around this area I have seen the show quality Lion Heads for $150 to $200!!!! I think if I ever get into them, I am buying from where you all live!!!!!!

Purebred pet ND's (juniors) go for at least $30. They can have a pedigree if they want. (Most pet sales go to homes with possible 4H kids. Pedigrees are nice to have for /any/ type of showing, even pet class.)

Pet sales come with a small baggie of food, a recommendation on hay/feed, and a small care sheet for newbies.

Show quality ND's go for $40-150. Stock from my lines usually goes for $40-60. Stock that I've bought, used for half a year, and am moving on costs the same price or so. (Like Birch, who I bought for 100, and will be sold for 100.)

i agree with tinysmom .. i payed 80$ for my rabbit (house pet) and i would not pay less.. this way you know they are well taken care of, and it is true. you take care of what you pay for.

Latest posts

Back