Sell or not to Sell?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woah! Wabbitdad12, PuterGeekGirl...

Please, don't leave! Everyone's opinion is valid and important to our forum. I am not sure if more words have been said elsewhere- but I sure hope this is just a misunderstanding. Please remember that intent and emotion are almost impossible to read correctly in a forum environment like this- and can easily be taken the wrong way.

I really don't want to see either of you leaving the forum! Please reconsider and stick around.

Thats what makes this forum awesome is multiple perspectives and opinions.

Its ok to disagree on things (and, for the record I dont think the exclamation points were meant to be offensive at all).

We love having you both! Can we agree to disagree and move on? :peace

One of the most experienced breeders I know says that when you show rabbits, you're paying $3 (or whatever - its $3 here) for another person's opinion - and sometimes that's $2.98 too much!

Peg

PuterGeekGirl wrote:
Also, everyone percieves the SOP different from the other person...sometimes the same rabbit that is BOB today can be first off the table tomorrow...different judge, different perception etc! The more opinions the better! :woohoo

TinysMom wrote:
One of the most experienced breeders I know says that when you show rabbits, you're paying $3 (or whatever - its $3 here) for another person's opinion - and sometimes that's $2.98 too much!

Peg

Sigh... ain't it the truth! My favorite white Flemish girl, Waikiki, whom I love dearly and is the most beautiful white I've had in a while, took Best White (BOV) at a Specialty show the first day (over 32 other whites) and was given serious consideration for BOB... and was 13 out of 14 in her classthe second day. :huh

Naturally I respect the first judge's opinion over the second! LOL! :disgust: (He's entitled to his opinion, I'm entitled to mine.)

And we need all the opinions we can get around here! :highfive:

Tell me about it. We've got one old judge down here that is awesome at judging commercial breeds. But that's about it. He forces the running breeds into poses and gets frustrated at them when they don't stay! Lol! At the last show, he was asked to give a judging demo to the youth exhibitors. The topic he chose: Handling Running Breeds when judging!! I almost fainted!!! I know he was wanting to give the kids some tips about judging these difficult to handle breeds, because Tans are becoming very popular in our area, and Checkereds and Belgians are new to the state- but he certainly doesn't need to be sharing his tips, lol!

That day he placed a Checkered that has markings that are a questionable DQ first, over my buck that took Reserve in Show the weekend before. Everyone watching the judge just: :huhMy buck went on to take first in the next show that same day under another judge! Lol! Like you said- everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I respect some more than others.... hehehe! :biggrin2:

I've had rabbits accomplish similar feats. BOV one day and placed last in the second show or specialty. I find it odd that people just describe this as the ''judge's opinion''.

It kind of makes me nervous sometimes, like all these judges are the ones we're trusting to honestly place our rabbits. And we all had multiple rabbits that place up, down, left and right and all over the place.

It makes me wonder like... are they all looking at a different standard? If they're supposed to judge according to tht stndard, how can we get such bogus and out of what placings all the time?

I do givet hem a lot of credit though, having to memorize a rough standard for ...what...46? breeds is an admirable feat.

But like someone mentioned, i'm paying $3 each time, and each time it's something different. Drives me up a wall.

-JAK

NEVER, ever let it bother you ... and NEVER get rid of or pass on a rabbit because of one judges comments! You know your rabbits best of all. You know their strong points and shortcomings... and you can read the Standard as well as the judge.

Sometimes the rabbit just won't sit right or he's hunching his shoulders, or the light makes his color look bad , or he doesn't like the way the judge smells, or doesn't like the way the show box smells, or the judges glasses are dirty and he really doesn't have that white spot... OR.... OR.... well, you know. Not all judges are perfect in all breeds. Over time, you get to know which judges are knowledgable in your breed and which ones you respect. Not because your rabbit always wins under them, but because they have the ability to really know the breed and see the good points or flaws, (regardless of the rabbits attitude at the time).

You enter a show, you get ONE persons opinion of ONE rabbit at ONE moment in time. And that's all it is... an opinion.

JMHO...

I would love to show in ARBA. But oh my god you will laugh at this. I kinda did at the end of that but in the beginning I was a little bit mad... but anyways lol

A few weeks ago I had my 4-H club meeting and I'm the vice president and the president was talking to me of like oh you do know you need your rabbit to be tattoo'd for ARBA and you do know they need the standards and it is a lot of money it cost $65-$85 to enter a rabbit into ARBA for the show.

NOW! I kept on nodding my head because this girl thinks she is all hot crap lol First of all I said to her well duh no crap! I know everything about ARBA and you don't. And I also said it does not cost that much money to enter a rabbit I was like your full of it, and I told her, you know what you don't know anything blah blah blah. I can't STAND the president! OH MY GOD I hate her soo much she thinks she knows everything. So yeah after a few times I remembered what she told me that just made me laugh cause she doesn't know anything. lol But thank god this is my last year in 4-H because I'm dropping it.

:)

It'd be a shame to quit 4H just because of that. I don't blame you for not being able to stand this girl though. Find out what your club's minimum standards are for being able to compete or be considered a member. I don't know about you but with my horse club we had to make at least 75% of meetings and participate ine 50% of fundraisers and we had to do a demo, then we were elligeable for roundup.

Maybe you can get by with only going to a few meetings and then doing your own personal studies with your rabbits elsewhere, like in ARBA and meet up with some knowledgeable rabbit peoples and then come to your 4h show and kick everyone's tail. And Ms President will be like ''double yew tee eff, she beat me I don't understand how this happened maybe I don't know everything''.

And you can tell her ''Hey! I thought you might be interested to know, I think I found a different ARBA From the one you're talking abou and they only charge like $3 to enter a rabbit! ''

I've been staying out of this discussion on purpose. I have a problem with bucks - I love them and want to keep them....all of them.

I think something you need to consider are - your rabbitry goals - the space in your rabbitry (cage space) - and what you can give this guy.

I still have my original herd buck even though he throws rabbits with maloclussion. I don't breed him - but I have him. I would like to neuter a doe and put her with him so he would be happier. But I sometimes wonder if I should rehome him as a pet. I just can't bring myself to do so.

But let's look at the criteria I've listed. Your rabbitry goals - do you have any? Are you breeding show quality rabbits? If so - then I think I'd pass on him and sell him because I think we've seen some comments on how you should have a better herd buck.

So let's look at space. Let's say you really love him and want to keep him even if it means not breeding him. Do you have the space? How limited for you on cages? Does keeping him mean you can't keep enough rabbits for your breeding program. (It doesn't hurt to keep one that is a favorite -but what about when you get to 10 or 12 or whatever). If you can afford the cage space and really want to keep him - then I can see keeping him.

But let's look at one final thing....his life with you. If you rehomed him as a pet...would he get more playtime? Is there a chance he'd do better in a home where he is one of one or one of five instead of one of however many rabbits you have?

I'm about to rehome a bunch of mine - I just worked out a way to do it that I'm comfortable with...and while it is hard and I'm crying (and I haven't even started yet)....I have to consider the quality of life the bunny MIGHT have in a pet home - vs. here in my home. I have to say - that other than certain situations I can think of - most of the scenarios would be more loving and fun than what they have here.

Anyway - those are the things I'd consider when deciding whether or not to rehome him.

As a pet owner, I'm so often temped to say, "he's cute..keep him" - but then I need to think about the quality of life the rabbit will have here...with me. I'd encourage you to do the same thing.

Peg

p.s. He is cute!

I don't want to quit 4-H just because of her, it also because the rules that they just throw in for the fair that is really stupid and they ive us the new rule on the day of the fair when they made the rule like last year.

But the reason why I want to quit the fair is because of the rules for the fair and it is time for me to go because I've been in it for 8 years and I've gotten BOB 2 years in a row so I think it is time for me to leave 4-H as soon as when I go to college.

Officers have tobe at the meetings I think 90% of the time and regular members have to be there like 75% of the time.

Maybe it's time for you to move on to showing in Open. You've done very well (2 BOB! Way to go!).

Can you find anotherexperienced breeder that will mentor you in Open? Start working on your own. Sometimes it's less aggravation. Ask around at local shows, ask other Holland breeders about their rabbits. Let them know you are starting in Open and ask for their suggestions. Ask them about your herd buck. It may be time to find him a good home and get some new genes to cross with your girls.

Both my daughters had wonderful breeders giving them excellent advice and help over the years (Thanks Roger at RAL Rabbitry!) Many breeders love to see a young person interested in their breed and are willing to help out.

But the reason why I want to quit the fair is because of the rules for the fair and it is time for me to go because I've been in it for 8 years and I've gotten BOB 2 years in a row so I think it is time for me to leave 4-H as soon as when I go to college.

Rules are rules, whether at a Fair or an ARBA show... but all ARBA rules are spelled out very clearly in the handbook. You know what needs to be done ahead of time.

Good luck making a tough decision about your buck. We've all been there and had to make similar choices. You have to do whats best for your rabbits and the future of your breedings.

Yea 2 BOB isn't that bad espically in 4-H though. But now that I only have like 2 years to go in 4-H I don't think it is worth it anymore because I know all the scams and everything and I also know what goes on in the leader meetings to cause my mom is a leader too.

But what I'll probably do since I'm still working on the pedigree papers for my rabbits as soon as when I have them all filled out and such I'll quit 4-H and try to start ARBA. And I might just keep Toby for now on, I offered him to my cousin cause she loves all of my rabbits but her parents said no so I'm stuck with him. But also if I sell Toby he can't go toa home with very very small children;Toby is very tough to handle.

I guess I'll keep you guys updqted if he will be sold or whatnot.

Latest posts

Back