Sell or not to Sell?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopntailrabbitry

Reaction score
Well at this point of course all of you know that I breed rabbits blah blah blah yeah I'll get right straight to the point lol.... Anyways I'm having problems deciding if I should sell my one buck Toby. I basicly used him a lot in my breeding program and he is the father of half of my rabbits. *I think* Probably. Yea he is. Well anyways do you think I should keep him or sell him? Here is a picture of him... what do you think of him? Should I keep him and atleast try to show him and p.s. I NEVER shown him the breeder before me did and she didn't say anything to me about him.

phplKT8fmPM.jpg

Thanks

Please give me opinions and Thank You. :) P.S. I know he isn't "posed" properly I was doing a rush job trying to get all the rabbits pictures taken. Uhh such a pain! lol

:)

Right now it is like 50/50 keep or sell. lol Wow is it very hard for me to decide to sell. And he was my first breeding buck too that I bought. lol Hmmm.........

:biggrin2:

I am not sure on the holland lop standards but if you don't try showing him you won't know. However i would get another buck in so your line doesn't get to in bred just check the line of the new one first its always good to add some fresh genetics:D

Sadly, bucks are where you have to be the hardest on when its time to make these decisions. Think of this as well, is he throwing better than himself?

First off, what color is he, his coloring is gorgeous, I can't tell due to the lighting for sure what color he is. He also looks like he has pretty nice bone.

What jumps out at me that would hurt him on the show table, is his nose looks longer, not the short, round"flat" look judges look for, if that makes sense. His ears are a lil long (not a ton of points there), but look like they have good substance,and he looks a bit long in body. His crown is slipped, sadly, that seems to be a VERY common thing in the hollands these days!

I'd love to see some pictures of him with a better pose. (its always so hard to know for sure in pictures!) As someone else stated, why not take him to a show and get opinions! Even if judges say he's not great for showing, then he has his beauty in other ways I'm sure...My Corky would be off the table so fast his lil brown head would spin, but he has his beauty in all the other ways....day to day life...not on the show table!

Anyway, just my 2cents worth, take what you want and keep the change ;)

Don't keep him or sell him, post him to me lol. Nah seriously if he is such a good breeder i think it is better to keep him just in case other bucks don't work out so well.

He's so cute!

It all depends on what your goals are. Do you have a list of goals for your rabbitry? If you don't, take the time to think about it and write them down. If you write them down and post them by your computer or in your barn- they will be in front of you and when it is time to make the harder decisions about who stays or goes, you will have a reminder about what you want.

If your goal is to win on the show table some of the most successful breeders out there have a very high turnover rate with their rabbits. They will have a litter, keep the best- show, keep the winners, breed and when a baby grows up that looks better than mom or dad, they will sell the parent and keep the offspring. With some breeders this turnover happens so fast that they rarely keep any one rabbit for over a year. Others might take two years or more to do this.

I love bucks, and I always tend to get attached and sentimental about my bucks. But I keep my rabbit numbers so small that if I truly want to improve my herd, when a son starts to outperform his father- I really should find a new home for the father. (Tell that to my 11 year old buck Styme, though, lol! He's still here!)

What I would do is take your buck and a couple of his most promising sons to a show. Enter them and see what the judge says. But, after the show, I'd bring the rabbits up to a judge that isn't busy and ask if they'd be willing to help you decide which to keep. When I start getting attached I find that if I get an outside opinion- they can help me see faults I am turning a blind eye to.

Also the good part is I bred Toby to Ginger and the one that gotten BOB in the show in August- Goliath. Toby is the father of Goliath so I have no idea what to do still. lol Jeez it is soo hard to decide.

oh how cute i want to tell you to keep him, he looks like my Sooty.

He's cute and would make a great pet. You probably should get thim neutered though, keep from having genetic problems. I am not trying to be rude, if your breeding Holland Lops, shouldn't you know the ARBA standard and know whether he's show quality?

PuterGeekGirl wrote:
First off, what color is he, his coloring is gorgeous, I can't tell due to the lighting for sure what color he is. He also looks like he has pretty nice bone.

What jumps out at me that would hurt him on the show table, is his nose looks longer, not the short, round"flat" look judges look for, if that makes sense. His ears are a lil long (not a ton of points there), but look like they have good substance,and he looks a bit long in body. His crown is slipped, sadly, that seems to be a VERY common thing in the hollands these days!

I'd love to see some pictures of him with a better pose. (its always so hard to know for sure in pictures!) As someone else stated, why not take him to a show and get opinions!...
PGG, meant to mention this a few days back, but this was a very pithy, informative post. :D

sas :bunnydance:

Not sure if 'pithy' is good or bad...LOL :shock2:

wabbitdad12-knowing the SOP for your breed or not, questions still arise, Hollands in particular are a complex breed to know the ins and outs of! I know it often still gets me after lots of studying, asking questions etc...some of the top breeders I know still ask others for opinions quite often! Good way to learn more and get others perspectives in the process! Also, everyone percieves the SOP different from the other person...sometimes the same rabbit that is BOB today can be first off the table tomorrow...different judge, different perception etc! The more opinions the better! :woohoo

lol Like I said I've never shown Toby and not planning on it. haha But I know Toby MIGHT I'm so might have a few faults. However I'm trying to get good Hollands though. And I bought Toby from a breeder who never gotten him from a litter. Toby has had 3 homes so far so I'm his 3 home. lol Poor lil guy. But yeah I really don't know hiw background that much at all.

We took on a rabbit from some friends that got him from someone else. Our home would be his third in about as many months. Despite, being a little agressive at first. The vet took care of that, we couldn't pass him on. Poor guy hadn't had a family or a permanet home so we kept him. The point I am trying to make in a round about way is if you have room and it sounds like you do. Keep him and spoil him rotten.:D

PuterGeekGirl wrote:
Not sure if 'pithy' is good or bad...LOL :shock2:

wabbitdad12-knowing the SOP for your breed or not, questions still arise, Hollands in particular are a complex breed to know the ins and outs of! I know it often still gets me after lots of studying, asking questions etc...some of the top breeders I know still ask others for opinions quite often! Good way to learn more and get others perspectives in the process! Also, everyone percieves the SOP different from the other person...sometimes the same rabbit that is BOB today can be first off the table tomorrow...different judge, different perception etc! The more opinions the better! :woohoo
I didn't know every comment to me warranted an exclamation point. Please forgive me for offering an opinion. I guess I will start looking for another forum, I bow to your omnipotent knowledge of rabbits.

Well I guess if thats how you took it, then you did, it wasn't meant that way I know far from everything about rabbits and can admit it, crap like this is why I left here originally.

You stay, I'll go. Later.

Latest posts

Back