Seeking advice on a wire floor

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debacus

Reaction score
Hi

All my rabbits are outdoors in solid wood hutches. However, I have one show buck who is a dirty little thing and likes to dig and pace in his poo (which as he digs is scattered everywhere) Even cleaning out very frequently doesn't stop him getting dirty!

He is a white rabbit (Hulstlander) so you can imagine how yellow he could/can get!

I was thinking about making a wire rack to place in his cage so the urine and feaces fall through. I know lots of you use wire on the floor (particularly show rabbits) so was hoping you could give me some advice as to what guage to use for his comfort. Hulstlanders are medium sized, usually around 5 1/2 lbs.

Thanks

Debs

p.s. He is currently in a hutch like this http://www.barrowbunnies.com/id6.htmlwith a seperate bedroom which he also jumps on the top of (which is his toilet area) and I'll be moving him to a single level hutch.

You could create something similar to the risers that people use in their cages at larger shows, like convention. Basically they just take some wire flooring and bend sides down so that it sits up and "rises" the bunny off the litter.

The flooring in my cages is maybe 1/4 in. by 1/2 in. or something similar. Basically, you want it large enough for the droppings to fall through but not so large that it will cause discomfort or be too flimsy.

hi, yes I have what I call the staging that I use for my lion lops at shows, but it's a thinner and smaller guage and is fixed to wood batens in 2 oblong halves for when I show them, which I know would give under the weight of a larger rabbit. I'll take a look at the dimensions you gave, thanks x

Back