Seeking Advice for Litter Training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xToffee

Reaction score
So I recently (3 days ago) got a holland lop and she is only about 5 weeks old. Although she is pretty much comfortable around me now, she still poops everywhere! I know it has only been three days, but I was just wondering; when will this territorial pooping stop? Also when is a good time to start litter training her? I can't tell where she prefers to pee yet, she just seems to do it everywhere..inside and outside her cage. Is it too early to litter train her?

I try to carry her back into her cage when she pees outside, but she doesn't seem to get the message and is as happy as ever. It is very hard to discipline her because she's so cuteee!!

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

It's going to be hard to litter train a 5 week old rabbit. It would be like toilet training a 1.5 year old child. Not totally impossible, but don't expect perfection.

I would start litter training now. Put the poops into the litter box and soak up pee with paper towel and put that in the box too. Also put hay in the litter box to encourage her to go in.
Right now she really doesn't have control over her bowels and bladder, so be patient. She probably won't really get the hang of it until she is closer to 8-12 weeks.

Ahh ok thanks, that explains a lot. I was wondering if she was too young to be litter trained. I'll continue trying and make a larger litter box for her.
For now she treats her litter box as an additional lounge area to eat hay in haha ><

Back