Seasonal allergies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I posted a topic on RO, but this is a serious question, and I would like some feedback.

One of my two bunnies(Peter) has been sneezing a few times a day, every day, for the past two weeks. He did the same thing, late last summer, and when I took him and his brother in for their well-bunny checkups, the vet prescribed a dosage of liquid children's Benadryl. Peter's sneezes stopped shortly after our visit to the vet, but now that he's sneezing again, what do you all think about Benadryl?

Gordon
http://gordonsbunnies.blogspot.com/

aw it sounds liek he certainly has an allergy to something maybe he has like hay fever or something. I don't know about benydryl but would be tempted to say if he was fine on it then i would probably use it again but I don't know whether it causes any bunny problems. Ivory would be a good person to ask or Naturestee

I don't know about the Benadryl, but just wanted to add that Scooter had allergies last year. Of course, I rushed her to the vet when she started sneezing. The doctor said she had a feeling it was allergies, but put her on a course of antibiotics just to be safe. She went through the antibiotics, but continued to sneeze. There was no discharge, so it was concluded it was allergies. I'm hoping the electronic air filter we had installed with our new a/c last year will help out; it sure does with my allergies. So far, no sneezing (knock on wood).

Hey,

I moved this to the Infirmary for you, as this is more with health problems etc.

We've used Benedryl in rabbits, it can make them a little sleepy but is generally considered safe for them.

You may want to try something like a humidifier or something along those lines. From what I hear, they work well. Randy would be a better person to ask about that, as I've never really used one.

I'm going to look into the idea of the humidifier. Thanks!

Peter's sneezes have always been the dry kind. He's cute as a button when he holds his front feet up to stifle the sneeze, and he stops when I ask if anything is wrong. :p

Bo is allergic to alfalfa dust. He sneezed a lot when I gave him barn alfalfa hay. When I took that from his diet, he hasn't had anymore problems.

Is he neutered? Clover has been honking a bit more - I think it's due to the weather.

Latest posts

Back