Screaming bunny !! Really screaming..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mummel

Reaction score
Like I mentioned in my bunny blog: Angel is a shy bunny.

Even though I have barely known her she seems to be way less shy with me though..I can pick her up and pet her with no problem. Just sometimes she would run away if Ienter the room (the bunnys live in their own room)

But when a friend of mine tried to hold her she jumped off her arm. Today she had to get her eyes checked at the vet since she got an eye infection.

She did not want to be touched by the vet..I was holding her, the vet tried to check her and she was just not holding still so the vet decided to hold her herself. So the vet grabbed her and what happened then I have never seen or heard in my life.

Angel was floundering like she was about to be eaten, her eyes wide open and then she started screaming!!!:shock:Her mouth was wide open the Dr. was holding her and she screamed really loud. It sounded like something inbetween mouse and baby screaming. Angel tried to escape from the Dr. and kept screaming..it was horrible.:nerves1

The Dr. didnt even grab her rough or anything..she was carefully trying to keep Angel from falling.

Later on we tried checking her eyes and teeth again. This time I held her with one hand and at the same time opened her mouth. She was holding still..all the Dr. did now was take a look at the front teeth.

I have a couple of questions now and I hope someone can answer them because I worry about her:

- Whats up with the screaming? Might she have been in pain or was she just scared? Do bunnys even do that? I never had a screaming bunny and I have had bunnys since 89.

- Why is it that a bunny likes to be hold by some but freaks out with others?

I will let her have a quiet day now and hope she forgets about that scary incident :sigh

In my experience......A screaming bunnie is a frightened bunnie.

It's a sound you don't soon forget.

Some of my bunnies will only trust me...no one else. They're also the ones that have the most difficulty handling stress during a vet visit.

One of my buns, S'more,is very frightened of being off the ground. This makes it rather difficult because the exam table is about 3 1/2 feet high. Luckily she has only needed to go to the vet a couple of times. We try to home treat her as much as possible.

Binkie can be a very agressive little bun and has had past visits to the vet that have certainly left a lasting impression. Last visit to the vet she stressed so much that she started to overheat. We try to call ahead so the wait isn't as long. Binkie is also the only one of my buns that has ever screamed (long story).

Oooh. I cant believe she screamed! Wow..she must have really been scared!

Ive never heard a rabbit scream, but I know that it is a defense mechanism, used only when they believe they are in extreme danger. I guess its supposed to frighten/surprise a predator.Rabbits may do it once they are caught and sometimes the sound may be so surprising the predator will release them.

Poor baby. She needs a relaxing day and lots of pampering!

-Haley

A rabbit screaming is the worst sound in the world, it's really terrifying. I had a four week old baby scream once when I picked it up off the floor, it was usually a calm rabbit but it decided to struggle half way up and nearly jumped outta my hands. It let out this piercing scream that shook me to my core. I put it down on the floor straight away and he just sat in a corner shivering. It came right again less than a minute later and I put it back in with it's mum and siblings. It never had a problem since so I think it just hurt itself in the struggle to get to the floor.

I will give her lots of cuddles this evening and have her with me when I'm in the livingroom. My sister told be before that her bunnys creamed once when she got a shot at the vet.

But Angel didnt just scream once..it was almost 1 minute of loud screaming..I cant forget the look on her face :?and her little mouth wide open..

I've heard a somewhat scream from Pepsi when I had to handle her when she had gas. I think it was very painful for her to be picked up with her tummy hurting so much with the gas. She did a soft, but frightening scream everytime I opened the door after to check on her. I was about to pick her up by the scruff just so I wouldn't put her into so much pain, but after the simthecone she settled down a bit. I hope Angel feels better!

Ive never heard a rabbit scream, but I know that it is a defense mechanism, used only when they believe they are in extreme danger. I guess its supposed to frighten/surprise a predator.Rabbits may do it once they are caught and sometimes the sound may be so surprising the predator will release them.
:yeahthat

And once you've heard it, you prayto never hear it again. It's one of the most horrible sounds in the world...sends chills through your entire body.

ILTGC, have you ever heard a piglet squeal when it is picked up? The sounds are comparible, at least in that they are both very high-pitched and loud. A piglet's squeal doesn't give you that creepy feeling though, it's got more anger in it than fear. To me, it seems that a rabbit pretty much screams when it thinks it's going to die, and it's got that note of despair in it. Sorry if that makes you feel worse, Mummel, I don't mean to make you feel guiltier. Just think of the fact that you were trying to help her, even if she doesn't know it.

ilovetegocalderon wrote:
Wow. Don't take this the wrong way but you have all got me really curious as to what this sounds like.
I liken it to a cross between a cat screaming and a baby screaming.

If you've ever heard a peacock scream......

I've only heard it once, and I never want to hear it again.

When I started to bond Snuggy and Baby, Snuggy chased Baby and pulled some fur out of her back. She didn't even break the skin, but Baby was terrified and let out a long scream that I will never forget. I was so shocked and scared at the same time. I had no idea they could do that.

What are POWs?

I was wondering about her teeth and if they are okay. Ever since she got here I havent seen her eating. But in order to look at her teeth she would need to go to a vet...more screaming :(

Maybe I should give her more time to get used to the new home. Im horrified of teeth problems. I had 4 pets (bunnys and guinea pigs)dieing of that problem within 5 months.

POWs=prisoners of war? I've also heard they use tapes of rabbit screams to attract foxes in fox hunting.

I'm sure there's a recording somewhere on the internet.

yeah, prisoners of war.

Muemmel, isnt your hubby in the military? Come on now...you should know! lol. too much time with bunnies.. hehe.

Im sure there is a tape on the internet, but I wouldnt want to hear it!

About the teeth, I dont know enough about it, but can you maybe hold her on her back and check them yourself? Maybe wrap her in a bunny burrito with a towel? This might be a little less stressful than another trip *eek!* to the vet. If its the front teeth you're worried about, you should be able to take a look.

Maybe someone with more experience has some ideas. We dont want you to have to hear any more screams!

Ah yeah the military..I couldnt care less about it. Ad, Bde, APO, PVT..bla..-_- I try to ignore living behind fences. ;)

I was able to look at her front teeth at the vet, they look fine...even if I open her mouth its going to be hard to look at her backteeth without that vet tool. Luckyly I just watched her eating..The breeder gave me some of their food and I mixed it with my pellets to switch slowly..But Angel only eats if theres not one of my pellets in the food ;)wonder whats in there..I still want to change the food. I dont feed grain.

Anyway..me and the buns were watching a movie together and Angel sat between my legs and looked really comfortable and calm :cool:

A rabbit scream is one of the most terrible noises you can here.

Most rabbits dont scream if there held...hmmm was she a rescue?

I'm sorry you had to hear it.

lol. you sound like my friend. Her husband is in the military but she pretends like he isnt. i think she forget sometimes that hes not just going to a regular job in the morning :)

I think its impossible to look at the molars without an xray. Im not sure how dangerous this is with regards to how long you can wait to take her to the vet.

Sounds like shes making herself right at home! And shes a movie buff ;)

Back