Scratrched up inside ears

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goneforbaroque

Reaction score
I adopted my young male rabbit in October (fixed, healthy). Recently I've noticed some scabby areas in his right ear (left ear is totally clean). I have observed some mild scratching and when he went to the vet in November he tested negative for ear mites. I'm wondering if there may be a cause other than mites that may be causing him to scratch only his right ear but mostly I'd like to know if there are any products that I can put on the affected area to help sooth it and promote healing. His ears are very long so anything I put on his ear he could potentially get in his mouth when he grooms (which he does frequently). I can post pictures if necessary (he is very good about having his ears handled). Thank you.

Sometimes the scraping for ear mites doesn't show anything. I think a dose of Revolution would be good, just to make sure it's not ear mites. It could be an infection of the skin of some other kind, but Revolution is rarely dangerous and may clear it up.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/earmite.pdf

Another possibility is long nails, if it's very mild. Perhaps on one side, his nails are too long or sharp? Younger rabbits often have sharper nails, and some people here have had young bunnies scratch up their ears a little bit because of sharp nails.

Its nowhere near the ear canal so I think it's not mites. His nails may be on the sharp side though. Is there something soothing I could put on his scabs to help soothe and heal them?

It's a bit iffy putting stuff into the ears because if it gets down there near the canal, their really sensitive ears can get infected very easily. I'd only put stuff on it if you can be sure it won't get down there. I use a triple antibiotic ointment, like neosporin (the kind without pain meds in it), on most bunny wounds. I also like Bag Balm or Udder Cream or some such product, that can be used as human lotion or on cows, but that may be a Wisconsin thing. We have a lot of cows. Neosporin is probably your best bet. It's ok if a little bit gets ingested of either of these things.

Latest posts

Back