Scratch, scratch, scratch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparklyyy

Reaction score
Hi!

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while. Zeke(1.5-year-old male mini lop) constantly scratches himself everywhere! I took him to the vet and the vet did a number of skin tests to see if anything was wrong. The tests came back negative. Zeke seems to be so sensitive, though, that at times, he'll run away when I pet him and scratch himself repeatedly wherever I touched him. Sometimes he'll comply and let me pet him, but he'll always scratch himself afterwards. Other times I won't have pet him at all, but he'll still scratch his ears like crazy.

I'm wondering if any of you have any ideas about what might be wrong. Could he have allergies of some sort? I'm not sure if the vet tested for that. Thanks! :)

Erin

HMm... any other symptoms beside the scratching? Does he have any flaky patches or dry skin on his ears? Check inside his ears - is there any build up or crust? Is he losing any fur in the area he's scratching -ears etc..

I know if I pet Misty or Charlie, they wil groom themselves right after(because I have messed up their hair). But excessive itching after is odd.

Do you use any kind of household chemicals to clean his area?Anything he might be allergic to? Do you use either pine or cedar shavings as his litter? I'm just trying to think of all the things he could possibly be allergic to if the vet didn't fine mites...

Thanks for the response, HoneyPot!

I was just petting him... he ran away and started scratching like crazy. It's definitely more than grooming that he does after I pet him.

His skin doesn't appear to be flaky, nor is there any build up anywhere that I have noticed. A few months ago, he lost a bit of hair near the top of his head (where he excessively scratched). It has since grown back and he doesn't have any more patches like that.

I don't know to what he could be allergic. I feed him Kaytee Timothy Complete pellets, I give him Kaytee Timothy hay, some of his favorite fresh veggies (parsley and cilantro), and yogurt drops and dried fruit (sparingly). I use Care Fresh bedding.In his play area, he has some wooden blocks, the sampler chew toy from Bunny Bytes, salt licks, and tons of cardboard boxes.

Could he have an environmental allergy? Dust, mold,etc.? I really don't know too much about bunnies and allergies. I would just love to figure out why he's so sensitive to touch and has to scratch all the time.

Erin

Hmm, wow, it really sounds like everything should be fine.

I moved the thread into the Infirmary.. maybe someone here will have some ideas?

Hmm. Could you talk to the vet about trying an allergy medicine for him? Rabbits can be given children's Benedryl, but you really should have vet advice before trying that.

Thank you so much for the advice. :)

I'll call the veterinarians' office and see if anyone there has some ideas. At least he's had the preliminary tests and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong thus far...

Erin

I'd eliminate the salt lick for one thing. Bunnies don't need them. I'm not sure if itcan cause dehydration or irritation, but its a good place to start.

I've got a food allergy that makes me break out in eczema, so I guess anything's possible. If the salt doesn't help, eliminate the cilantro (a couple of my bunnies have bad gas reactions to cilantro, so you never know), and just keep going until you narrow the field.

Maybe a vitamin supplement like Nutri-Calmay help, that's something to research, seeing as vitamin E is good for human skin,maybe bunnies, too?

Is his cage near a heating vent? Air freshener? Is it worse after yourhands have been in cleaners?Lotions?

You're probably just going to have to experiment, allergy tests aren't easy.

(I'm itchy thinking about it!)

sas :huh

Latest posts

Back