Scooter's Cat Bite :( (and Aural Hematoma)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
Well as per my other post about taking my homeless friend's rabbit to the vet, now I have to take Scooter in.

I checked him over after he attacked my old blind kitty but couldn't find any wounds on him.

He's been scratching and flicking his ears since he arrived (I was going to ask Alex and Julie if he did that as much down there) so I didn't notice anything unusual -- and the inside is clean --but now I see he has abite on the outside of the ear. It's hot andswelling up. :(

Poor Scooter, I feel awfulfor missing that. But betadine on it, but he needs to be seenASAP.

sas :cry4:

yeah as you know cat bites are very serious with rabbits. I think randy treats a lot of wildrabbits after cat attacks. I hope you get him there soon Good Luck!
I think the vet will put him onantibiotics
maureen

Cat bites are very serious to all small animals. Ask your doctor....they will treat a cat bite to you more aggressively than they will a dog bite. With any wildlife, if there is even a cat in the vicinity....we treat for cat bites....I call it the "Proximity Treatment". A cat's teeth are so sharp that some puncture wounds won't be seen. With baby squirrels, rabbits and birds....they generally will die within 72 hours without prompt treatment with antibiotics. It takes about that long to get the drugs to a working level so they are really behind the eight ball. We also treat opossums but they seem to have more resistance to bacteria than other species...most likely due to their much lower body temps. Squirrels we treat with Clavamox...but rabbits present a huge challenge when dealing with maturing cat bites due to their situation with certain drugs. But the older the rabbit, the more immunity they have since their immune system is a lot more developed than the babies.

And a suggestion....ask about using Convenia. It is a cephalosporin and is chemically similar to penicillin....so it has to be used only as an injectable. One sub-q injection is all the dosing needed. Think of the possibilities of an antibiotic that only requires one time dosing....something working in a rabbit's favor for a change.

Randy

Scooter got a shot ofantibiotics -- 25 ml of Longisil. I guess that'sPenicillin G Benzathine and Penicillin G Procaine. (Bicillin?)The vet says that should be all he needs.

However, today -- two days later -- it's still thick and hot, althoughno obvious infection/abscess, and he's eating and drinking. Looking uncomfortable tho. He's holding his ear down.

Vet says it's probably a hematoma. (haematoma?). Other than surgery, not much they can do. He'll have a cauliflower ear from it if it's allowed to clear up on its own.

I'm going to have to put a cold compress on it.

Poor Scooter. :(

sas :tears2:

PS: Sorry Randy, saw your post too late. Great info for the future, thanks.

[font="bookman old style, new york, times, serif"]Scooter, my new mini-rex rescue, attacked my cat and ended up with a bite on his ear and what appears to be a hematoma -- thebase of hisear is very hot and swollen. It's been three or four days now, still looking very angry. (The bunny isn't looking too happy either). TheVet is recommending surgery, but I'm reluctant to have him put under if I don't have to.[/font]
[font="bookman old style, new york, times, serif"][/font]
[font="bookman old style, new york, times, serif"]I've startedgiving him some of Pipp'sMetacam, I hope that's okay. He was looking so miserable, figured he needed pain relief and an anti-inflamatory. I'm also trying a little ice.[/font]
[font="bookman old style, new york, times, serif"](He did get a shot of bicillin for the bite).[/font]
Any experience with this?

I don't have any experience with such situations, but I wanted to send you some hugs and Scooter some prayers. This must be pretty stressful for you right now - and I'm sure Scooter's feeling the stress as well. You guys will be in my thoughts and prayers and I'm sending well wishes your way.

:pray:.

So it doesnt look infected? Youre sure its filled with blood and not pus?

I have no experience with hematomas in rabbits but I know with cats the only way to deal with them is to operate.

Poor Scooter. I guess he wont be able to be near the cats if its going to be so stressful and costly for you. :(

Id say Metacam is good for now for the pain. I dont see any other alternative than to operate if its filling with blood.

Oh no! Let us know how things go at the vet's. Bicillin really should be given every other day or its not effective so if the vet wont give you a supply you should ask for something else..

Prayers for Scooter and Sas.

Did the bite actually break skin or is it more like a 'pinch'? A compressing tie could be used but it would have to be left on for a number of days. Leeches have also been used with ear hematoma (on both humans and animals) to drain the blood and reduce the pressure around the cartilage. I have seen a dog undergo this procedure when a door was accidentally closed on his poor floppy ear. This can prevent cauliflower ear. I wonder if it is hot and swollen because of all the blood and fluid collected between cartilage and skin- and not because of infection. I know it sounds disgusting but if something has to be done to it, I wonder if leeches could be a consideration. It is actually more sterile and less invasive than surgery. This may not work for buns as well as humans/dogs, I am not sure but it seems like it could be tried. Ear would have to be shaved before leeches are attached.

Poor Scooter. Sorry that had to happen to him! No doubt it feels uncomfortable. What kind of surgery would vet do?

The twoteeth puctures are tiny and near the top of the ear, it's the base of the ear looks like a hematoma and not an abscess to me, but he's got something else going on here. He's wheezing, his poops are looking funny.

The two things that worry me are that the vet didn't give him a good going over for other injuries -- I'm seeing a lilttle bump on his nose, now --and I don't think he's had enough antibiotics.

(He didn't prescribe pain meds, either).

Appointment at 3:30.

PS: I don't think surgery is a good idea if there's a chance of infection, and in the condition he's in.

PPS: Seeing as the hematoma is the lesser of the worries, I'm merging this with his 'cat bite' thread.

Wheezing is usually a sign of an infection in the rabbit's airway/lungs. He might have an infection that has spread from cat bite.

If infection is ruled out, I believe wheezing can also be a sign of respiratory distress in the cases of pain/shock. I wonder if the cat bit and yanked on the ear, broken cartilage should be considered too. That would be very painful.

Antibiotics can cause misshapen poops and GI slowdown. I am not sure how much information a radiograph would give you, but I believe if he has an infection in lungs it *would* show up. Just to rule that out for wheezing, I would have one done. Good luck! I hope you find out the answers today. Keep us posted.

Pipp wrote:
The twoteeth puctures are tiny and near the top of the ear, it's the base of the ear looks like a hematoma and not an abscess to me, but he's got something else going on here. He's wheezing, his poops are looking funny.

The two things that worry me are that the vet didn't give him a good going over for other injuries -- I'm seeing a lilttle bump on his nose, now --and I don't think he's had enough antibiotics.

(He didn't prescribe pain meds, either).

Appointment at 3:30.

Wheezing? I have no idea.

Can you get a look at the skin around the infected areas? A spreading infection may have radiating linesor a reddened area that grows larger.

How long till the vet appointment? Can they look at him sooner?

As for the swelling, if it is hematoma couldn't they just drain some of the blood with a syringe to relieve pressure?

:pray:

OH OH I just remembered hearing at one point that some buns can be sensitive to bicillin, probably the penicillin in the shot. The symptoms to the sensitivity is wheezing and snuffling.

Latest posts

Back