Scent Glands

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BasilBarleyandMe

Reaction score
So I cleaned my rabbits scent glands for the first time and let's just say I hated it! So I was just wondering if I don't clean my rabbits scent glands will she be ok? Because it would be great if I don't have to ever do it again with no consequences on my bunny because she also hated the experience. She thumped at me for maybe 30 mins after.

Hmm well I clean mine once a month. And they get use to it after time. I don't know if there is any health issues relating to not cleaning to gland, I'm sure someone with more knowledge can help you😊

I've never cleaned Bandit's scent glands and he gets along perfectly fine and never smells. I think if you have a bunny that is smelly because of it because they don't do it themselves for whatever reason (laziness, stiffness, overweight etc) then it can be done regularly if required. But otherwise it doesn't need to be done at all.

Okay thank you so much, that's a relief and I recommend to everyone if you don't have to do it don't!!!! :)

I've never had to clean Felix's, I've done Clem's twice, the first time was because I physically noticed it under her tail, second time I thought I'd just check in case it was built up again. It was better than a guinea pig so I don't mind!

I think you should at least check every now and then. My bun never use to clean himself...he was lazy like that (no he wasn't obese, just lazy). And if I didn't clean regularly he'd get a hard waxy buildup which was much much worse then if I had given it a gentle clean once a week (both when I'm try to get that gunk out, and in terms of his natural musk).

I used cotton tip bud and dip that in warm water and gently wipe that area about once a week or fortnightly

Not all buns will be as lazy as mine was and will clean themselves, but I would make sure that your bun is cleaning herself, just give it a check in a week, then in a month etc. if there's nothing building up then she's good :) No need to interfere if they're already doing it just fine.

I have no more advice to add as everyone above has done a fabulous job and said the same thing I was going to.

Nancy I feel like your last line of advice should be printed on all things bunny owner related.

Reactions: rew

Latest posts

Back