Scent Glands- How Should They Look?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yield

leo (they/them)
Reaction score
[align=center]I shoulda took a pic before-hand... but how should they look?

The picture below is after we wiped out the stuff in Solara's scent glands.
But what is that dark lump near the scent gland in the picture below?
(sorry it's so big but I want every detail visible)

She'd been smelling really bad so we wiped her scent glands out with a Q-Tip dipped in warm water (only her right one, she needs time to calm down)... but the stuff inside looked like the orange-ish specs around her... "gland". So I'm not sure if that's normal or what.

_DSC0043.jpg

Any tips for the next scent gland/help would be greatly appreciated :biggrin:

I can't say for sure, but it looks as though there may be gunk left in there. Can the gland be pulled open a little further? There may be a pocket that you aren't getting to.

it does look like u need to clean them more...wet the q-tip with some slighlty warm water and when u swab itll grab alot more and not hurt ..
thats alot of gunk...ur gonna hafta keep up on this rabbit ..some rabbits get gunk ..some dont..

Flash Gordon wrote:
it does look like u need to clean them more...wet the q-tip with some slighlty warm water and when u swab itll grab alot more and not hurt ..
thats alot of gunk...ur gonna hafta keep up on this rabbit ..some rabbits get gunk ..some dont..

[align=center]Thank you!
We will have to try and keep on it.

It sucks because she's my most skittish bunny and freaks out every time we hold her on her back. =/

no fun to clean are they?..hehe

for a skittish bunny, u sure did good cuz my skittish buns woulda been long gone before i could even snap the pic..:)

The dark coloring under the skin is normal, though. There may be other gunk in the gland, but my guys and many shelter buns have a dark patch under the skin there. I don't know if it's some part of the gland itself or just a blood vessel very close to the skin surface.

Latest posts

Back