Scary

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringer

Reaction score
I have been reading the Rainbow Bridge and see that many bunnies just die in the night without any warning. Why would this be? Do they suddenly develope a virus or have they actually been sick for awhile and we just didn't know? Animals are known to hide their illnesses as it makes them prey to be weak.

Is there anything we can watch for?

Another question. Ringie had a hard birth with her last litter. 2 stillborn and she was sick for days afterwards and didn't care for her surviving babies. Does this mean she will most likely have another difficult pregnancy if she ever gets bred again? Is she in danger? Should I have her spayed right away? I worry about her and wouldn't want to lose her with a bad pregnancy. She is 2 1/2 now. She had some bleeding this last time. But her first litter was fine.

I think I have answered my own question. I shouldn't chance it happening again.

Okay, so are you a breeder?:? I'll wait for other breeders to give their input, but I will say that I know even completely healthy does can have still borns or babies that don't all survive. Sometimes the "peanuts" for the smallest and weakest don't, but sometimes they do.

As far as health in general...The only thing you can do is watch for any change in eating, pooping and activity. Also, physical symptoms like discharge from the nose, eyes or bottom. Lethargy, etc.

Alot of times there are symptoms and we may know they're sick and why. We treat them under the instruction of our rabbit savvy vets the best we can. Sometimes, we don't know they are sick, as you said as they are prey animals and do hide their illness very, very well, and we don't know anything is wrong until it's practically too late:(. That is the hard part for me with owning buns. Although, I am down to just one now, I lost Angel almost exactly two months ago. As with her, she wasn't acting right one morning, my first incling was gas, so I treated for gas. I later took her to our emergency vet who consulted with my vet. Brought her home, she was doing so lousy, it was so scary. She died about an hour and a half after me getting home with her that night. I do not know what happened exactly, as I opted NOT to have a necropsy. I just couldn't do it to her. I think it may have been cancer, as I had a cancerous tumour removed from her almost one year ago.

So, in a nut shell, we don't always know, and only a necropsy will tell you what happened.

No I am not a breeder. But I am very careful where I home her babies,. I still have people asking if she has another litter if they could have one. I'm not planning anything presently. I just wondered if she was getting too old or there was danger in any way because her last litter was hard. I know she should be spayed.

Ringer wrote:
I have been reading the Rainbow Bridge and see that many bunnies just die in the night without any warning. Why would this be? Do they suddenly develope a virus or have they actually been sick for awhile and we just didn't know? Animals are known to hide their illnesses as it makes them prey to be weak.
They hide their illnesses very well. Even abunny with cancer appear to be sick only briefly. Sudden, more invisibleillnesses like heart or liver disease can also take them. The most common with domestic bunnies seem to beGI tract issues, though. In all cases watch for small or no poops or diarrhea, loss of appetite and lethargy. Any change is noteable.

Ringer wrote:
Another question. Ringie had a hard birth with her last litter. 2 stillborn and she was sick for days afterwards and didn't care for her surviving babies. Does this mean she will most likely have another difficult pregnancy if she ever gets bred again? Is she in danger? Should I have her spayed right away? I worry about her and wouldn't want to lose her with a bad pregnancy. She is 2 1/2 now. She had some bleeding this last time. But her first litter was fine.

I'm not a breeder, but breeding problems seem to beprogressive judging by posts on this forum.

Two and a half is pretty old for a doe to have litter, even with no issues. It's doable if the doe is used to having litters, but still on the outside fringes of safety. But if the last litter had issues, chances are great that you'll have problems again, so I really would not chance it.

And also, not knowing the reason for the problem means it's a good idea to get her spayed sooner than later in case it is a uterine growthissue.

So glad to see this concerns you. Wish all rabbit guardians were as responsible as you. :(

sas :bunnydance:

Thank you Pipp for telling me what I kind of was thinking. I actually didn't know that 2 1/2 was old to have babies. I wouldn't want to put my bun's health at risk. I would never forgive myself. The last birth was hard on her. I think a spay (soon) is in order.

Latest posts

Back