Scared to breed rabbit, risk of toxemia?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coupon

Reaction score
Before you go all "I CANT BELIEVE YOU HORRIBLE PERSON OVERPOPULATING RABBITS GO TO HELL" on me, domestic rabbits are so scarce in Dallas texas, there's only 1 at the pet stores at any time, and they are willing to take them from any backyard breeder. I found a male rabbit for my female, but i'm scared because the female rabbit is a year old and has never been pregnant before, and might be slightly overweight. Is there a high risk for either ketosis or fused pelvic bones? Would c-section be an option in this case?

The pelvic bones in rabbits don't fuse in a year. If she has just turned a year then the risk isn't much higher than when they're younger. We've had to push up against 1 year a few times and all went fine. We show rabbits so we've probably experienced close to 40 litters over the last 5 years. We've only lost one doe during kindling. You can minimize the stress on the doe by giving her more protein just before kindling and while she's nursing, along with plenty of water.

I'm more worried about pregnancy toxemia/ketosis because you can always get a c-section if the babies don't pass, but the mortality rate of toxemia is too high for comfort

Does who are pregnant are more susceptible to catching something...pregnancy can stress the immune system, just like in humans. How overweight is your rabbit? We've had few problems over the years with does kindling, but proper nutrition and low stress levels are important. If you don't feel comfortable with it then don't do it.

A C-section is an option, but is more of a last resort. It can be expensive as well, especially if it is an emergency. I am not sure what the chances of the kits surviving are, unless you had another nursing doe with very young kits that could foster. With dogs, puppies can be easily bottle fed while the mom recovers, but rabbits are much harder to hand raise. Usually a C-section is done if the doe is having trouble and not able to deliver on her own, this might be a few days past her due date and the kits can be dead already.

How big is the male compared to the female? If he is much bigger, the kits could be too big for her to pass on her own. You generally want the buck to be the same size or smaller than the doe. Larger breeds can get away with more of a difference than smaller breeds (1 pound when you weight 20 is not a huge difference, but 1 pound when you weight 3 is a lot).

You might want to get her to loose a bit of weight so she is in better condition before breeding her. Usually about a month of a bit less food and more exercise and help a lot.

If you are worried and have doubts about breeding her, don't do it. There is the risk that she could die (it is always a risk) and if you are not willing to loose her, don't breed her.

Welcome to the forums. Like my mom (majorv) said webhave experienced many litters and have not had many die from giving birth the first time but it is always a risk that should be considered when breeding. i found some info on toxemia and i truly think if your rabbit is on a good diet an is well taken care of (meaning she isnt obese) then you shouldnt have a problem but this cant be guarenteed. the more common things breeders worry about is stuck kits or hypocalcemia.

I am certainly not going to tell you you're going to he'll because I am also a breeder. But I do want to express concerns for selling young rabbits to pet stores. Pet stores are very superficial and do not have much knowledge or care taking abilities for rabbits. They also want young rabbits that are 6wks of age or younger because young sells and they are strictly in it for the money. I can actually say for a fact that rabbits are not scarce in the north parts of Texas because I know very many well known breeders from that area. It might be that they know not to sell to pet stores (even though we get blamed for it) because of the poor husbandry. Breeding rabbits is not a money making business what so ever. I don't want to go off on a rant but there are definitely questions you need to ask the pet store before you even decide to sell to them

I find it very hard to find domestic rabbits in north texas, if i look for one on craigslist, it's either $50 of gasoline away, or doesn't answer my emails. Could you tell me who some of those breeders are?

Also I'm not going to sell them to the pet store

I'm not going to post names but here is the ARBA registry (this doesn't cover the majority of people but just from this list there are 4-5 breeders in and around the DFW area.
https://www.arba.net/PDFs/Breeder_List.pdf

Here's another list: http://rabbitbreeders.us/texas-rabbit-breeders

Most breeders do not advertise on Craigslist because they have their own websites. I only advertise on Craigslist if I am desperate and that has been maybe 3times.

If you want to breed rabbits I highly suggest going to shows and starting there. A large majority of our shows are up north and there are lots of respected and knowledgeable breeders that attend.

Latest posts

Back