Scared out of my mind!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YAY! Good to know she's all done!

I know it's easy for me to say, LOL, but I wouldn't worry. I have had many, many spays (and neuters) done, and never lost a one. The only real problem I ever had was one doe insisting on pulling out ALL of her stitches within two hours of the spay! And I jsut took her back in and got them re-stitched and put a shirt on her so she couldn't do it again, and she was fine. It makes them uncomfortable for a few days, but it's a routine surgery. She came through the surgery itself fine, so just make sure the vet gives you pain meds to take home for her and she willl be just fine.

He refused to give her pain meds after telling me he would. I have Ibuprofin, if I go by that site that tells how much to give can I do that? I was so bad, he was not there when i picked her up and the lady was squirming where I was so mad. Something about rabbits are fragle and they did not carry the proper metacam for rabbits or somekind of crap like that. So I need help, what is a type of medcine I can get to give her if Ibuprofin *human form* is not ok?

Now he DID give her that burephine or whatever today so she is good for a few hours but I will not let her go without pain medicine.

I do not have to worry about external stitches. I hope the glue was fine for him to do? :nerves1

The glue works great for rabbits! No worries there. And the meds he gave hershould last about 12 hours. Some of the girls I've had spayed did not need anything after that. Some did.

You can use Ibuprofen or regular Baby Asprin. DO NOT GIVE TYLENOL. It goes by her weight. Here is the Med's calculator:

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html

I would hesitate with the ibuprofen and ASA because they are also blood thinners and she just had surgery.
Could someone else talk to the vet; he promised pain meds and now he doesn't have them

I would call them back again.....she could get another pain injection later or they could get metacam from another clinic.

I had a fit once when a vet wanted me to break off pieces of a liver flavored pain pill and give it to my rabbit; they got a bottle of metacam from another clinic.

I would call up the vet and make a real stink about him not giving you pain meds, or mabye have your mom do it if they might listen better to her. I am not sure about the ibuprofen, that one is iffy I think for using in rabbits. I know you can give them Tramadol, although you may not have access to that. It's a prescription pain killer for humans that works well for rabbits too. I have it on hand because I use it for my migraines. YOu could try sending a pm to Randy and see what he recomends as far as pain relief.

Randy has previously recommended something stronger than Metacam after a spay, like Tramadol or Buprenorphine. I think either of these would be good right now if they don't have metacam available.

He gave her Buprenorphine before I picked her up. He said it being narcotic he could not send her home with it but would give her some before I got her, and he did :?

Vets typically give a 24-hr shot of some pain med right before they send the bunny home, but this will not last. Buprenorphine is a controlled drug because it can be abused (it's an opiod) but you should be able to get it with a prescription from the vet. Becca needs some pain medicine that you can give her at home, a few times a day. When Benjamin was neutered, they sent him home with pain meds we gave him every 8 hours or so by syringe into his mouth. The pain from surgery lasts longer than anything your vet can give them while they're at the clinic and needs to be controlled for up to a week following a spay.

Tonyshuman is right. I get pretty irritated at a vet that tells me that a 24 hour shot will take care of all of it. I have had a c-section before, and while it's not quite the same surgery, it definatly hurt for more than 24 hours.

The vet said he would not do it so i am on my own. She has started showing signs of pain so I did as Kathy said and got some baby asprin(it is coated with something). I am going to do as Kathy said. I looked on that drug dosage thing too and put in her weight and stuff. I will give her half one now and if she contenues to lick I will give her the othr half before Kathy said.

I know the aspirin is not the optimum pain treatment... But if the vet is going to be so obstinate and not give you anything else, I'm hoping it is better than nothing. Any chance there is another vet willing to cooperate with you?

I think I'd look for another vet with a little more experience and compassion if Becca ever needs to be seen again.

Keep her warm and quiet. Do not let her near Mousse...

If you do give aspirin, please watch for any bleeding. Since she has just had surgery, giving her a blood thinner like aspirin can make clots dissolve which could lead to bleeding that you can see (on the incision) and bleeding that you can't see (inside).

I called and told the lady she was in pain and I wanted metacam no matter what adam's said. She went and talked to him and because Metacam is not "approved" for rabbits he would not be responsible for her over dosing but the vet in town would give it to me. So $15 later I have it but adams isn't happy I don't think. Well he can kiss my butt :nasty:Now to find out how much to give because I do not trust the vet because he gave me the dosage you give to dogs!

Ok, from what I gathered from reading around, since no one is on, the dose the doc told me to give was half what I COULD give her. So I gave her what he said (it came out to 2/10th ml) and I will keep watch of her. I am so scared of overdosing her but apparently it is not horribly comman luckly.

That sounds fine, given that the manufacturer recommends 0.1-0.2mg/kg for dogs (no info on rabbits) and the suspension is 1.5mg/mL. Her rabbit is a little less than 1.5kg. I've never given this drug to my bunnies personally though, so could someone who has please respond?

Actually she is just less than 1 kg. Did I say 1.5kg somewhere? :?

I finely found a few sites and both my calculations and a blatant dose showed on a site(but not saying for what weight) I came up with 0.2 mg. With it being 0.5 mg/ml I came up with 4/10th ml however I was going to only give 3 JUST in case but what the doc said to give was 2/10th(I used a ml syring to tell by the pound syring) so I went with it. It worked fast too.

Is it ok if I give her 0.1 mg more than every 12 hours? Likemaybe every 6 since it is a very low dose?Yesterday she was doing great on it but today after I got home from work I noticed she had not ate all of her food and there was less poohs. Her next dose is not due for another hour but I am going to give it anyway.

You told me that she was just under 3lb, and 3lb is about 1.4 kg.

It may be better to give 0.2 mL every 12 hours than 0.1 mL every 6. You probably could do 0.2 mL every 8 hours. She should start to feel better soon and you won't need to continue with the drug. Metacam is good at pain relief but can cause damage if it's given for more than 4 days in a row. I don't know the exact specifics on the drug, so maybe someone who has used it could step in here.

I'm glad she's feeling better.

Latest posts

Back