Scared of condo?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jen92473

Reaction score
We just built a three-story NIC cube condo for our mini lop, Jellybean. The thing is, she's not moving between the levels. She's 7 months old and a decent size, but she seems scared to go from the upper level (where we placed her) to the lower levels, and doesn't jump up to the next level from the ground floor. We've made flooring out of those squishy kitchen floor mats-the ones that absorb shock, so she's not walking on the metal grids at all. Will it just take a while for her to get used to it, or does she need a ramp? I've seen several other condos that just have "holes" between the levels for buns to jump through. Maybe she's too young? The lady at the local pet store said that mini lops can be kind of lazy, so maybe she's content in her area (a 14x28 section is where she's currently stationed). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've made several NICs over the years and found that some rabbits take a few days (maybe longer?) to get the hang of their new space. I'd give her some time and let her figure it out.
Are the floor mats you are using at all slippery? If they are, she may not feel confident in hopping up or down. I used to use carpet on the upper levels.
And the other option would be to put a box that is about half the height of a level near the opening to serve as a mid-way step.
(A photo would be helpful too to get a better idea of what it is like)

I was also thinking of traction. A carefully placed rug or towel can do wonders for some buns' confidence.

It took Sophie a week until she realised/wanted to go to other levels in her condo. I have 3 levels plus a small penthouse. It took her over a week to finally go into the penthouse. I think her previous owners only had her on one level because she really didnt know what to do with the condo at first lol! I have only one wood ramp in the condo, she has to jump up to access the other areas. I thought at first that she couldn't do it but then my husband reminded me that rabbits can jump up to 3 feet into the air. Now she leaps up the levels no problem at all:)

Latest posts

Back