Scab thing on inner ear

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtipthebun

Reaction score
I just noticed today that Q tip has this scab looking thing on the inside of her ear. It doesn't seem to be bothering her and I'm not really sure what it is, since we snuggle all the time and I just noticed it for the first time today. Unfortunately the vet's office is already closed and is already after hours by the time I get off work. Do you think this is something that I should take her to an emergency vet for? I'm attaching a picture of it.

1386447829483.jpg

1386447850987.jpg

Not sure what it is, but if it isn't bothering her and appears to be a scab rather than an open wound, I can't imagine that it's anything that warrants an emergency vet. If it were me, I'd keep an eye on her (and on the scab/wound for any changes in appearance) and get her in to see her regular vet on Monday as long as nothing changes that makes it seem urgent :).

With my work schedule, I won't be able to get her in during regular hours until next weekend, and my job is through a temp agency, so I'm not allowed to take a day off....

Not an open wound....she may have just scratched herself. Anything I can put on it?

Hrm... trying to remember for bunnies... I know with sugar gliders, neosporin *without* pain reliever in it and Vetericyn are the best choices; I'm almost positive the neosporin is safe for bunnies as well.

I personally think she is fine and does not need to see a vet. Just put some neosporin on it *without* any pain relievers in it and she should be fine. If it progressively gets worse then it could be ears mites and then you could take her to the vet. Also make sure her nails are trimmed so she isnt scratching herself.

Any chance you could get a clearer picture?
It doesn't sound like an emergency to me. Neosporin without the pain reliever is safe and put that on it if it's an open wound but if it's already scabbed over that won't really do you any good anyway.

It's definitely not an open wound. I wasn't able to get a clearer picture because I need to use the flash on my camera, and it wouldn't take a clear one because my hand isn't very steady! I think she probably just scratched herself. I'm not really sure how as her nails are neatly trimmed but I just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions or had an idea what it could be. She seems to not really care, and that's what's important to me. She isn't in any pain and she's up doing binkies and begging for food. So she is herself. I'll just keep an eye on it and see if it is picture worthy over the next few days

I personally think she is fine and does not need to see a vet. Just put some neosporin on it *without* any pain relievers in it and she should be fine. If it progressively gets worse then it could be ears mites and then you could take her to the vet. Also make sure her nails are trimmed so she isnt scratching herself.

I'd like to second this.

My rabbits get scabs in their ears semifrequently. This one is kind of big, but unless it's oozy or really bothering her I don't think you need to rush to the rabbit doctor. Rabbits kind of dig into their ears a little with their back legs to get the ickies out of their ears, so if her nails are long, that could be what caused it in the first place.

Back