Savannah gave birth. HELP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spank was neutered over two years ago when he was just four months old. When Spank and Savannah first bonded, Savannah went though a false pregnancy - but just in case, I took Spank to the vet to ensure that he was correctly neutered.

I took note of the date that Royce had gotten Savannah for that mere two seconds, it was March 25. But Savannah hadn't gotten bigger, it was hardly noticable.

Spank is really depressed. I put Savannah and the babies in a cage on the floor, and Spank just sits outside the cage all day. Looking at her, and they touch noses through the bars.

I checked on the babies, the three spotted ones all had fulls bellies!. The runt is maybe about 2 cm. smaller than the rest. The three spotted ones had all gotten bigger, but the runt remained the same size, and not a big of a belly as the rest. Do I put the runt and Savannah in a separate area so that it can get milk?

Hey, it does look like croutons!

They have grown! Except for the runt. And the three spotted ones had ping pong bellies, and the runt didn't. So I put the runt and Savannah on my bed, and she nursed the little guy. I watched his tummy grow :inlove:

Oh, ok. I wasn't sure how long Spank had been neutered. Sounds like it really is Royce that is the dad. It probably is ok to have Spank and Savannah together, just not with the babies. I would be worried about him hurting the babies because they're not his (just my strange idea, not based on any facts)

Good luck with the babies, sounds like you and Savannah are doing a good job of keeping them all healthy! I bet they'll be CUTE when they look a little more like bunnies and less like crazy hairless aliens!!:biggrin2: I LOVE lionlops!!

It would help the runt if you give him one or two extra feedings a day. After Savannah nurses, check the little one's belly. See if he's getting pushed away from the nipples by the bigger siblings. Give him an extra feeding with momma (like you did on the bed) mid day. If he's really small, I'd let him nurse in the evening BEFORE the others. (Even if you have to remove him and Savannah and give them quiet time.)

Oh wow! What a suprise to come home to :shock:. I have to say though, they are very adorable, and Savannah looks so proud in that pic :D

Looks like they are doing good, and feeding the little runt seperately will be a big help.

Don't beat yourself up about this - accidents happen. Just enjoy being a bunny 'grandma':D

Jan

GOSH - What a lovely surprise.

I know gerbils arent rabbits but thts how i got my gerbil:
My friend bought 2 gerbils and they were "meant" to be 2 boys.
Lets just say my friend came downstairs one morning and started screaming becuase there in the cage were 6 baby gerbils!
She obviously didn't take the male gerbil out quick enough becuase a little while later there was another littler of 8 baby gerbils.
Thats how i got Pip my gerbil!

I'm enjoying every second of being a bunny grandma :biggrin2:

I witnessed a feeding this morning at 8 am, Savannah thought I was sleeping. I went to go check on my runt, and he had the ping pong belly! Go little guy, go!

The little guy has definately won my heart over, fighting those obstacles of his bigger siblings. My partner and I have talked things over. And we will be keeping two of the babies. The runt, and a spotted one. One of the spotted ones is protected of the runt, always covering the little guy - especially when I take a peek. So we want them together. And we're going to get these two and Savannah, when she's healthier, for one big fixing day. And hopefully bond them into one big family of the two kits, Savannah, and Spank.

Spank and Savannah had some time together last night. Spank ended up doing binkies around Savannah, and Savannah... ripped out his fur, and he just sat there and let her do it. When I first discovered the babies, Spank and come over and had lay down next to them. He was licking them, and cuddling them. What a sweet step daddy!

Royce's owner is going to take one. So that leaves just one baby with a question mark. Maybe I can convince her to take the other one too :nod

Awwww, it sounds like one big, happy family - how very cute!! LOL at Spank - he's so happy to be with Savannah, he lets her do what she likes :D

I'm pleased to hear the little runty is doing OK :).

Enjoy your babies!

Jan

Picture Updates!

Here are the babies day 5!! They're HUGE O_O. They went from being as big as my finger, to the size of my hand.

DSC00739.jpg

DSC00744.jpg

DSC00746.jpg

DSC00747.jpg

DSC00748.jpg

DSC00750.jpg

DSC00752.jpg

I'm so glad too! Dawn and Pipp should take credit. Dawn went out of her way to come over, lend me a great nest box, and to check the babies.

Pipp calmed me down the night they were born, guiding me as to what I should do over the phone, and it was nearly 2 am! She even offered to watch them the next day while I was at work to see if Savannah would be a good mommy.

:hug:

Grandma has calmed down :p

Savannah is a very protective mommy. The babies have opened their eyes, and are coming in and out of the nest as they please. Savannah chases them back into the nest, and covers them with hay.

Here are some pictures!

Agent Orange (His nickname, since I'm not naming him =P )

DSC00763.jpg

Sylvia:

DSC00772.jpg

Smudge:

DSC00782.jpg

The Runt, Who would not stay still:

DSC00777.jpg

AWW! I'm in love with Smudge too! He reminds me of Bruno with his half marking on his nose.. awwww! They are all so adorable!

:inlove:

I know! Smudge is just TOO cute, with his little round smushy face =P

OMG! Love Baby Bun Butts! A new litter that I somehow did not see the thread! Keep posting photos (they grow up so fast) and good job! Love to hear of the day to day lives of Savannah and her babies.. :inlove:

Latest posts

Back