Sarcoptes mites infection :-(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylove7782

Reaction score
Hello,

Our bunnies have been diagnosed with sarcoptes mites infection on their feet .They have been injected a dosage of ivermectin. The doctor has advised to get them administered with 2 more doses over a span of 2 weeks .

We have also been advised to soak their feet in water n then apply Vaseline on them and soak again in water and scrap off theloose hair .This way we wil be able to remove the mites to an extent .

But our bunnies hate water .They don’t dip nor let us soak their feet in water .n again applying Vaseline is so difficult coz it is thick ,thereby making it so difficult for us to wash it off completely ,
and they always end up licking if off

We want to know if we can use coconut oil or almond oil as a substitute for the same. Would that be harmful for bunnies if they licking the oils?

Please let us know if this infection can be treated completely and will they get back to their normal state ?

For now they seem to be in pain and very uncomfortable with the infection.:(:?

The point of using a substance like vaseline is because it suffocates the mites. You want it to be thick and you want it to stay on there.
Try putting baby socks over their feet after youve applied the vaseline.
Continue with the vaseline as your vet has advised. But maybe you will have better luck with a soggy wash cloth vs physically putting the rabbits feet in water?

If the Ivermectin does not work I would be looking at using Revolution - Selemectin as this is what we use over here for bad cases of mites regardless of what the box says it treats.

Remember to clean their habitat regularly, vacuum all carpets steam clean if you can, and get rid of anything thats wooden around the bunnys or bake it, wash linens, etc. Mites and fleas (or their larva) can and will hide away from the host animal causing an infection to re-occur after you think its all cleared up.

Guyz, pls help..Will it be okay if they lick away the Vaseline? There is no point put baby socks as they get more curious and pull it out! My rabbits are restless.

If it is fine for it to lick the vaseline, i can safely try that option!

Cheers,

The vaseline should be ok to injest, as long as it's not a ton. Some older treatments for GI stasis included giving greasy substances orally to kind of lubricate the GI tract, and although that's not the best way to treat GI stasis, it shows that oily stuff like vaseline is ok for them to ingest. I wouldn't put more than an amount as big as a couple of their poops on--that way they won't get too much into their systems.

Latest posts

Back