Sand

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, do not go get sand from the beach or anywhere else natural. Unfortunately, it will have plenty of fleas and other nasty little things in it.

You need to buy playground sand, or sand made for children's sandboxes. Fresh bags of playground sand will be sterile.

If for some reason you absolutely can't obtain clean bagged sand, it is possible to sterilize the sand you want to use.

Put the sand into large roasting pans and bake in the oven at 350 F for at least 30 minutes, with some stirring. Then, set it out to cool (if outside, ensure birds can't poop on it ;) ). Takes a surprisingly long time to cool down!
http://www.practical-pet-care.com/archive.php?2002111917425830

I wonder what Gus would think of sand? :biggrin:

Fish tank sand (for fresh water tanks) should be safe. Iwas looking into putting sand in my fish tank and was told to go out and buy play sand or pool filter sand (because it's cheaper, but essentially the same stuff).

Hope that helps!

Rue

i'm thinking of putting the sand in a large covered cat litter box, that way it can fly all it wants and only maybe get out one side, which i'll be putting a mat down so i can just dump it back in. i'm mostly hoping that this will stop him from digging in his litter box lol

Mostly at a garden store... Reno, Home Depot, Rona also have them I think =) I'm not sure if you could find any at Wal-Mart but it might be worth it to look.

We just bought them sand as well :p

Latest posts

Back