Sand

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hok9

Reaction score
I bought my guys some sand today and filled up one of their litter boxes with it. I did not know that they would go crazy! Is sand like catnip for them? They immediatley jumped into a frenzy of binkies and running around. They love the stuff. Is this good for them hygene wise? like a bath?

I have a child's sandbox in the room for my bunnies, and they LOVE it too. They roll, binky and race around in it. I think it must feel good to them.

As for hygiene, I've never had any problems - except that they dig the sand everywhere:). As long as the sand is clean (Ibuy the kids playsand) it should be fine.

Jan

I meant does it help them clean themselves. i got the sand for hamsters and chincillas.

Aww, I want sand for my babies, except I clean up after them too much already.

But it sounds cute. c:

I don't think your buns need that sand to stay clean. I have no idea if it is safe for them.

Im going to get a cat litter box for them. it has high sides so they wont keep throwing it out of the cage.

so i got them a big litterbox for the sand. They went crazy again and there is sand everywhere. Its worth it though to see them like that.

I have a chinchilla, and it lives in the same room with my bunny Howie, i was told to be careful with the dust as it is possible it can cause respritory(sp) problems,and to keep a decent space between him and the dustbath, i thinkthe playsand would be a better bet as it's coarser than chinchilla sand,and less "dusty"

i know what kind you are talking about, this is more like play sand. a little heavier and there is virtually no dust, like sand at a beach.

i was thinking of doing that. but what about the sand meant for fish tanks? i have a large bag of it left from when i had fish. would that be ok for buns?

i know this is an old topic, like, really old, but instead of making a new one i thought just post it here

not sure. i was wondering if anyone on here knew. all i know is that certain types of sand have rounded grains which wouldn't be a course on a bun. i'll have to look into it a bit more. i just always thought sand was all the same. i was mostly asking about it dusting up and such.

i really dont think it matters what sand u use as long as its not dusty and they dont ingest it...some buns will eat silly things...my buns love love love the sand box..and holy schmoly does it make a mess!!..i dont care how high u make the sides that stuff gets shot out so high...!!..its a blast to watch...and as someone else mentioned when they push it forward its so stinkin cute!!

Latest posts

Back