Sammy got hurt today

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khaelbee

Reaction score
In Sammy's last litter of babies, she had 2 peanuts, both of which were still alive last night. Our normal procedure is to leave them in there until they die, and other than overnight, we check on them about every 2 hours so as not to leave a dead baby in the pile for too long.

This morning... lets just say nobody ever wants to be woken up with "uh oh. what the heck is the bunny eating?" I looked out the window, and I couldn't tell what it was, until my boyfriend said "it doesn't look like a baby..." and then PING. Yes it did, she was eating one of the peanuts. I threw some clothes on really quick and went out in the back yard. By that time he had taken away the one she was eating. I dug through the baby pile, and the other one was nowhere to be found... She already ate it. I know its normal for wild animals to eat babies that aren't healthy, and that's not my main concern. I actually have 2 questions.

1. Amidst all this commotion, I noticed Sammy had blood on her nose. I thought it was just from eating one of the babies, but upon further inspection (and her kicking and scratching the CRAP out of me) I discovered its a little cut on her nose. I'll try to get a picture of it in a few minutes so you can see how big it is size-wise. Should I just leave the cut alone and let it heal on its own, or can I put something like neosporin on it to help it heal better? Its on the top of her nose, which I'm not sure if she can lick, but even if she can't she can rub it off with her paw and then lick her paw. Suggestions on the cut?

2. When we end up with peanuts in the litter, should I leave them in there until they die as I have been doing? Or should I take them out right away?

Normally when she has peanuts, she leaves them alone until they die and we take them out. I have reason to believe she killed one of them today, and in the process, it got ahold of her nose and that's where the cut came from.

photo.php

There's sammys boo boo... And of course Sammy trying to eat the quarter...

Sorry about Sammy! I'm sure it was traumatic to see her eating the peanut. I can only answer the first question, though someone else may have a better suggestion. You can most definitely put Neosporin on her cut, but NOT Neosporin Plus, as it contains lidocaine in it, which can induce heart failure in rabbits. It is completely safe, however, to use regular Neosporin. Even if she licks it, she'll be fine - there are no harmful ingredients, such as pain killers or lidocaine.

Back