Sammi & balance issues/front leg partial paralysis.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a good plan. I know Ali had some good pictures of a setup for a lesser-abled bun, maybe from when she first got Gabriel? It wouldn't be easy to find it in her blog but if you look for something about a new head-tilt bunny, I think she had some good pics, or pm her and she can direct you to the right spot (JadeIcing).

Sounds like a good plan. With Berry I used lots of layers - at the bottom of the cage I put puppy pads, then used towels and old sheets rolled up on top of that. On top of the towels I put a dog crate pad bed for her to lay on - my rabbits all seem to really like this one type of dog bed. Everything except for the puppy pads was machine washable/dry-able, so they where relatively easy to clean. I also used a lot of hay to the cage, within her reach. Berry couldn't eat on her own at first but as she improved she would start to eat hay on her own if she could reach it without having to move much.

Try to keep everything within reach - food/water...so that she doesn't have to move around much if she needs a drink or whatever. Maybe even try hand feeding if she's really reluctant to move.

How's she doing now?

She doesn't seem to realize that she's "handicapped". Yesterday, Will was out on our porch (fixing our Christmas lights) and Sammi thumped at him... Twice! Right now, she's in a loaf of whole-grain disapproval. She scoots around the smaller cage pretty well. She discovered that the incontinence pads are fun to chew on, so I had to hide them under the towels. She has been eating her veggies with gusto. I was worried because she wasn't eating her pellets, but she is back to eating those, too. I let her out for some exercise, and it seems like her left limbs aren't working. At first, I thought it was just the front, but the right front one works much better than the left, and I notice that her back left leg is a little goofy, too. That would be more consistent with a stroke instead of spinal cord damage. Stroke victims can be rehabbed a bit (the glories of working at a nursing home), so that gives us a bit of an optimistic boost. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

kherrmann3 wrote:
Right now, she's in a loaf of whole-grain disapproval.
LOL what a great description!

It sounds like you have really good ideas for helping her out too, with the rehab. She couldn't be in better hands!

Thanks again for all the replies, everyone! :hug: This forum is awesome!

tonyshuman wrote:
kherrmann3 wrote:
Right now, she's in a loaf of whole-grain disapproval.
LOL what a great description!
Yeah, I started saying that because she always seemed to think that I did everything wrong, but showed in a more intense, curmudgeon-y way than Toby. I had to think of a way to distinguish between their reactions to my inadequacy as a slave, and because of Sammi's rich blend of brownish colors that reminded me of certain kinds of whole-grain bread, that I started to call it her "whole-grain disapproval" loaf. I will have to try and get a picture sometime. It's not often that she can loaf anymore. (On a side note, my friend Mary has a cat named Abu that sits with his feet tucked under him... She's calls him "Toaster-Kitty". He has the same "Go to Hell!" look on his face, though. :))

Quick question regarding hay and pellets. I know she's around seven-ish years old. When we adopted her, the paperwork said that she was approximately 5 years, 3 months old when she was surrendered. We got her a few months later. That was almost a year and a half ago. So, that would put her birthday, if that age estimate was even accurate, in or near January (ish). Anyway, back to the actual question: When do you start to feed a bunny alfalfa hay and pellets again? She's getting pretty bony from the few days of not adequately eating, and I am pretty sure that some of her muscles are atrophying. Does anyone think that I should start feeding her some alfalfa in her diet to "bulk" her up? Also: What are good veggies that can help her get extra nutrients? They used to only get romaine lettuce as their nightly salad, which I would occasionally add cilantro, parsley, etc. to it to shake things up a bit. I know kale has good stuff in it (because I never eat it and think it's yucky - just like spinach). I have been giving her kale in the morning and evening with her salad. Are there any other affordable veggies that are good for bunny nutrition? I want her to get a well-rounded diet so she doesn't waste away. Any ideas?

I would start with the alfalfa, with hay just as a treat first, and add some pellets. You just have to judge how she looks in terms of muscle tone. I don't think she would need the extra nutrients from veggies if she's on a good pellet. The best way to get good nutrients from veggies is to feed a variety. I feed veggies mostly because I get really dirty looks if I cut back on them, and they are a good way to keep bunnies hydrated.

The one side thing makes me think stroke too. When Berry had her stroke, one side was effected more than the other. Her...left I think it was side was worse, and she went blind in her left eye as well.

I'd keep working with her! You wouldn't believe the improvement Berry made after her stroke. It's almost a year later now, and she pretty much acts like a normal bunny. She has her eye issue, and her front left leg isn't 100%, but it's not bad enough that it's really all that noticable if you don't know to look for an issue.

Have you tried the physical therapy with her at all? I lucked out I guess because my Berry is friendly and seemed to enjoy the attention. I'm sure it would be more difficult on a less friendly bunny.

My vet said that Berry wasn't in any pain after her stroke - she just couldn't control her muscles anymore. Other than that, she still wanted to eat and groom and do all the normal bunny stuff. It sounds like Sammi is still in good spirits, despite her issues. Hopefully that's a good sign!

Actually, since she's been like this, she's been a lot friendlier. She doesn't grunt and attack (or try to) anymore. In fact, she let me do some physical therapy range-of-motion and stretches yesterday. Will is doing them with her right now. She's enjoying his attention (and craisins). We will have to see what helps the most. I just am concerned with how thin her back end is getting. It's very bony around the spine and hips. It kind of reminds me of how a cow's hips look (they're not poking out like that, but they're definitely palpable now).

Can you let her exercise her back legs at all so the muscles don't loose tone? I kind of had to hold Berry's front end up to let her hop around on her back legs a bit. Is she eating okay now? Maybe she'll gain some weight back now if she's back to eating normally.

It comes and goes with the eating. She's OK with veggies, but not the pellets as much. She'll eat them throughout the day, but not all at once.

I've been trying to sling her up with a towel so she can propel herself around, but she hasn't gotten used to it yet.

I'm just seeing this, and I just wanted to add my love and hugs. I don't have any recommendations that haven't been hit on by everyone else already.

Actually- one thing. Is she staying hydrated? Feel her skin and gently pull it up and release it. Compare it to Toby's. It should go right back to normal really fast. If it doesn't, she needs more fluids. Dehydration can add to her seeming underweight.

Long time, no see, Stee! ;) :hug:

I checked her skin and it seemed OK. We also gave her a sub-Q fluid two nights ago. We noticed that she pulls herself into the modified litter box to void.

Sammi is not doing well. She has lost her sense of balance to the point that she can no longer stand. Whenever we see her, she's flopped down (and her head laid down, too). She's still eating, so I don't know what to do. Her fur was matted with urine and feces this morning. I had to give her an "undercarriage wash" (as Will called it) and cut her fur a little to prevent more waste stuck. It wasn't a good morning here.

To make matters worse, Will and I are leaving for the holidays. We are driving to Michigan to have our Christmas party with Will's family, and we're leaving on Christmas Day to get there. We won't be home until New Year's Eve. I am dropping Toby, Reggie, and Noodle (hamster) off at my mum's, and Sammi is staying with our friends. I figure that because our friends our home all the time (retired), they will be home more often than my mum. That way, they'll be able to monitor Sammi, change her position, and give her more one-on-one time than my mum would be able to.

:pray:

It's a matter of seeing if she's still enjoying life, now, and you know that best. I'm hoping for the best and thinking of you guys.

Latest posts

Back