Sam just been spayed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilfly

Reaction score
post spaying-

I read somewhere that boys want to eat as soon as they wake up and the girls just want to sit quietly.

Sam went in at 9am yesterday(thurs) she was done by 1pm and we pickedher up at 4pm. She was given painkillers at the vets.we were told shedoesnt need to be given anymore at home.

Last nite she just sat in her bed looking a bit sorry for herself:(poor baby.She munched on some hay (not mix, or sweeties)and had a wee drink now and again.

This morning she is still not eating her mix and is not thatinterested in hay. However when i open the cage door she bounds out andhops about my room and jumps across my bed.

Her scar is a little pink and raised but it was done less than 24hrs ago so im guessing this is normal.

Is it normal that she doesnt want to eat just now, or is it aserious problem?The care sheet i got from the vet said that "If samisn't eating or is showing signs of discomfort or illnes contact thesurgery". But as i said she is hopping around my room, not is obviousdiscomfort just a little slower-she just looks a little tender

Oh...FYI dissolvable stitches were used under the skin, so she wouldtry to pull them out! I was impressed with this-quite clever itthought. Is this standard?

PS it took the the nurses 10mins to get Sam out her carry box...hehehe ..thats my girl!

Would appreciate ANY advice,

thanks

-Gillian

Offer her some fresh greens. If hereating does not pick up then see the vet. As long as she iseating some shhe will be okay, but she has to eat and drink to keepfrom going into stasis.

Ed

Offer her the things she loves best...even ifits not the best for her, at this point you just wanna keep thingsmoving. I know some people have had to hand feed their girlsafter a spay for a day or so...might see if she'll take some hay fromyou...

You might try sprinkling a bit off apple juice on the hay to entice her as well.

I have a dutch that had an emergency c-sectionand had to be spayed. When I brought her home, she didn'twant to eat for 2 days. I did however manage to get her to"nibble" on things. Try oatmeal, infant veggie baby food, andother tempting things. She will eventually start eating againbut right now she is probably in pain.

Sharon

thanks foryour responses. She hasbegun to nibble a little on her mix and some hay. The infant foodsounds like a smart idea. I will see how she goes for the next coupleof hours. tried hand feeding her some of her little choc drops but shewasnt interested.

Thanks again

-Gillian

I'd be cautious and give her a bit of Nutrical to boost his system. ;)

My little girl didn't eat very much for 2 daysfollowing her spay, so I went and picked up some pain killer to giveher. It made her more comfortable and willing to eat. I hand fed heralphalpha hay which was the only thing she really ate.

thanks again for more great advice. Not sure ifi can get Nutrical here in the UK. She is eating a little. Think i willtry to hand feed her more and see if she eats much over night and phonethe vet in the morning if she still isn't eating much. She doesntappear to be in too much pain because she is able to jump around myroom and on and off my bed. Thanks again

-Gillian

As long as she's eating a little, she should beokay. Keep tempting her with yummy food until she's eatinglike normal. She deserves a little pampering, anyway.:D

Mocha also had buried, dissolving sutures. They're standardfor my vet (after-care sheet had a check off box for thistype, any other type of suture required explanation) but not everyonedoes them. IMO, after seeing problems that have come up withstaples and non-buried sutures, I think this is definately the way togo.

Snuggles was spayed last week.

Took her a good 3 days to eat normally. Is Sam peeing and pooping? If she is, she should be ok.

she ate brocolli from my hand lastnite, and she really enjoyed that. It as 7.20am and just put out her"breakfast" and she's still not interested.she only ate one bit becausei put right at her mouth. The vet closes at 12.30pm today so might callthem after work. I work in a supermarket so i will buy her morebrocolli and sprouts as she seemed to enjoy them.

yes she is peeing and pooping normally- infact she peed on my boyfriend!:?

-Gillian

Latest posts

Back