Salt?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschimpf

Wheek, Hop, Meow
Reaction score
Hey everyone as some of you have read in my introduction:
Hello from a newbie

I have a question on my learning path. Should Rabbits have salt? I have been looking at all the rabbit foods online at petsmarts online website and I've noticed that most so far have salt in them. Then there is the salt licks.

What is everyone's suggestion on salt in pellets and salt wheels?

Rabbits don't need extra salt. Pellets contain more than enough salt for a rabbit. Salt wheels are not needed and too much salt can do more harm than good. Mineral wheels and blocks are also not needed as pellets also contain the vitamins and minerals needed. My buns (and gerbils) have never touched mineral or salt wheels, so to me they are a waste of money.

The food doesn't look great. It appears to have extra bits. I can't identify them from the picture, but it does look like corn or maybe cereal. While the protein and fibre look good, as do the first 3 ingredients, it wold be better without the extra bits in it. It also seems expensive for what you get. I am not even sure if you can get that food at Canadian petsmarts.

Also, since you live in Edmonton, you can get Oxbow fairly cheaply. G&E Pharmacy apparently has a 5 pound bag for $9 and 10 pounds for $15.

Latest posts

Back