salt shortage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindiwe

Reaction score
Hi All

My girls have starte licking me (and chewing the cage bars) in the last week...It's quite compulsive (they don't stop unless I interrupt), and I'm a little worried they may be short of something in their diet...

It would be nice if they were licking me 'cause they love me, but I 'm not sure that's the case!:biggrin2:

Any advice?

Marika

If their diet is healthy and balanced then they won't be lacking anything. Can you tell us what diet they have?

Chances are they just love you :)

Some bunnies are very licky, others lick a bit, some never lick. Sounds like your pair are VERY licky :)

Hi Flashy

They're on as much hay as they can eat - teff and alfalfa (they're not quite 4 months old) - plus Versele Laga pellets once a day. No fresh veg yet.

I live in South Africa, and the Versele Laga is imported from Europe and is the only decent rabbit food on offer - extruded pellets, with a good balance of ingredients.

thanks!

I worried that my buns had a salt shortage or something becuase they just kept licking me all the time...so I bought them one of those mineral stones, and they completely ignored it lol! Now I know it's just cos we loooove each other lol. Lick for me, and then a demand for a groom lol, and then lick for me, and then demand a groom!!

Lindiwe wrote:
Wow. I didn't realise that bunnies would do that!

So I can go around feeling cheerful instead of worried!

:happyrabbit:
Yep :)mouse_chalk has a checkered giant that held her down to lick her face the other day..... LITERALLY!

I had that same questions a while back because Mika, my 2 month old Dutch would lick me every chance she got. She actually will get up on her hind legs to reach my hand, put her front paws in my hand and lick me to death!!! I love it though and everyone here agreed that it was some serious bunny love!!

Congratulations on the bunny luv! LOL!

Tee hee, funny how I was magically drawn to the thread that has my name in it! :biggrin2:

It's true though, Dotty is a VERY licky bun. I think it's just because she's very loving, and maybe her theory is that if she gives enough kisses out, she'll get lots back as well. It seems to work well for her! :D

It sounds like your bunnies just love you very much! You're very lucky!

I've seen the salt licks etc in the pet shops for bunnies, but I think that if they're on a good balanced diet, there's no need for things like that as well :)

It's a misconception that they lick you for salt or need extra salt in their diet. Some stores even sell "salt licks" that your bunny really doesn't need at all. It sounds like they love you, but they also may be bored in their cage. Do they have chewy toys (wood) there to entertain themselves and is the hay there all the time? Also, out of curiosity, what is Teff?

That's cool! It's probably better for them too once they get older. Alfalfa is a bit rich for adult bunnies.

OT/ what kind of bunny is Dotty? She looks a lot like mine. I got him from someone who didn't know much about bunnies and I don't either but I am learning!
Thanks
Stacey

stassy wrote:
OT/ what kind of bunny is Dotty? She looks a lot like mine. I got him from someone who didn't know much about bunnies and I don't either but I am learning!
Thanks
Stacey
Dotty is a Giant Papillon, known in the US as a Checkered Giant! :D She's about 9months now and about 14lbs.... :shock:

If you wanted to know more about your bunny, you could post a pic of him along with his weight and age in the Rabbitry and Showroom area :)

Latest posts

Back