salt licks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovepets

Reaction score
i was wondering if rabbits need salt licks. i got one before i got her and i just never put it in her cage
:?

Rabbits do not need salt licks or mineral stones. A good pellet should provide the salt and minerals a rabbit needs.
Too much salt means a rabbit will drink a lot more. While drinking is good, too much is not. It can lead to imbalances. The problem is that a rabbit may ignore the salt lick for months or eve years, then consume it in a very short time. A few licks a day might be ok, but you can't really monitor how much you rabbit uses it unless you hold it for them to lick. The same goes for mineral stones, but they can cause problems with too many minerals, some have lots of calcium which is not good for rabbits and can cause bladder stones and urine sludge.

I would just avoid them. No need for them.

Kate is correct. As long as you're feeding a good quality pellet then you don't really need a salt or mineral lick. The pellets will provide yourbunny with the nutrition that she needs. Just recently I was looking for something in the Merck Veterinary Manual under rabbit nutrition and it said the same thing. If you aren't feeding pellets then that's another story.

if you put it in she can then use it when she needs it but if she is using it 24 7 then take it out x + your bunny is like mine they could be twins ! lol x

Back