Salt licks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kohana

Reaction score
So I was just curious, do bunnies like/need a salt lick? I have heard from a few people that you can have them but I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to give them one?

Also I picked up an untreated willow straw ball and I was wondering if this will be okay for my bun to chew on and play with?
:rabbithop

Salt and mineral licks are not needed. The mineral ones may not do any harm, but lots of salt can cause problems. A good pellet will give the vitamins and minerals needed. My bunnies don't even think twice about them. Korr had one for a while and didn't touch it.

Untreated willow balls are great.

My rabbits have natural salt and mineral deposits in their cages. I have problems with kits grooming their littermates and mothers bald. It really baffles me but it happens to at least one kit in a litter. I'm hoping this'll at the very least keep them preoccupied, and it's completely natural.

Willow balls are marvelous. I get nature's willow balls. AKA, Pinecones, which are scattered everywhere in my yard, and they love it and toss them around constantly.

Hubby gets Snuff a freakin Carrot Salt Lick. Snuff loves it! Doesn't need it. We see him happy when he goes upstairs to enjoy it, it's pretty cute. Use your own discretion I guess on that. But, no, they do not need them, it's basically a "treat" thingy.;)

Kohana wrote:
So I was just curious, do bunnies like/need a salt lick? I have heard from a few people that you can have them but I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to give them one?

Also I picked up an untreated willow straw ball and I was wondering if this will be okay for my bun to chew on and play with?
:rabbithop
iodized salt licks,,mine have it available,,some lick,,some don,t,,it was determined rabbits don,t really need them but,,for me nutrition is at the forefront-of diet,.//..there may be a medical reason to not offer salt licks--ie.bladder-.sludge,,and thats white,,milky urine coupled with a medical problem,,which some rabbits unfortunately have..,,try fruit tree branches/twigs for chewing and gi tract....sincerely james waller:wave:

My rabbit licks me all the time. I was suggested to get a salt lick, so I did and it did no good. My buck however, liked it and would hop over now and again to have a few licks.

My opinion is that the rabbits do not like them -from my experience =)

Latest posts

Back