Safety.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kadish Tolesa

Reaction score
Hi, everyone :)

I was reading the o/tdiscussion about the BTK serial killer and how he may have accessedpeople's homes (i.e. , uniforms , ect. ) Well,we've lived in this area for about 19 yrs. , and have never had anytrouble from neighbors or anyone else . Our driveway is gravel andquite long , and it seems no one is interested enough to drive down it.There are three houses along this driveway w/their own blacktopped(shorter) driveways , and the few salesmen who do stop around have beeninsurance guys .

I was interested inpossibly selling some of my pet quality Flemish next year when my Fawndoe is old enough, but after all this news about BTK., it made me thinkmore about having total strangers driving up to my house!

I guess the only safeguardwould be to ask people to call or e-mail before coming over. Not tryingto sound paranoid here, just want to be cautious:). After all, the only people wanting to purchasea bunny would be another breeder or someone looking for a pet!

Kadish Tolesa :purplepansy:

Absolutely! I would get a good sense ofthis person over the phone (not just e-mail) before they visitedmy home. I would even have a minimum of 2 phone conversations beforeeven telling them where I lived. I'm paranoid like that ;)

Of course have them call to let you know of anapprox. time they plan on showing up so you know, but you should givepeople more credit. They're not all out to get you. :p

personally I wouldmeet them at a neutral destination, much safer in an openarea with lots of people , Thisis ohw I arrange adoptions, It was suggested thru mylocal police and hasworked well for both me andprospective adopters ,

When I arrange a pick up froman owner I always offer to have them meetme in a well lit heavytrafficed area , that way WE bothfeel safe , My feeing is I donot want to have to defendmyself and Im surethey feel the sameway .

Thanks, m.e., Shuu, &Gypsy--- I really do like Gypsy's suggestion ...although I doknow everyone's not out to get me:D I DO hope everyone's out tobuy my wonderful bunnies ; ha ha ha !

Seriously, I don't plan tobreed too much until I get some feedback from prospectivebuyers.....All of my present rabbits (6 --not counting neutered Gimli )are pets that I plan to keep. I even plan to keep my crabby blue otterNetherland dwarf doe , she who growls at people!!!!

Kadish Tolesa :pinkpansy:

One thing I thought of, wasto ask people's phone number and e-mail ; and get back to them a littlelater.

I've always trusted people, and wish this worldwas a safer place ! A while back in the news, Iheard of the tragicmurder of a ladywhosoldrat terriers on the web; anditalarmed me .

On the flip side, I liked seeing other breeder's(rabbitry)set ups and appreciated their trust in people !

So maybe I just need to use a little common sense :).

Kadish Tolesa :pink iris:

My husband doesnt like to have people i met onthe internet come to the house so i meet them at the mall in theparking lot of a restuarant.My husband always goes with me.bluebird

Meeting people in parking lots can also berisky. You may also be violating local vendor ordinances bymaking a sale outside of a store (in most areas, you need a license forthat). Rabbit shows are a good place to make sales.

Phone calls and email contact don't ensure your safety.

I've seen a lot of weirdos over the years -- and had a lot of weirdoscome to my home. I highly advise not posting any type of signoutside of your residence (some very strange people will stopin).

I avoid the pet market, only selling a pet to someone who has beenreferred to us or to someone I know well. The pet market isunreliable, and pet sales generallytake immense amounts oftime -- not even worth the money you asked for a rabbit. Ifyou want to deal in pet sales -- sell wholesale to pet stores.

Pam

Hi,thanks Pam, I never thought about vendor ordinances ect.,outside of stores ! Yes, I agree about not posting a signoutside of my home :?.

The pet market can be arisky place as some people may buy a rabbit and already have too many .I've given this aspect much thought and will continue to doso. There are 2 pet stores that Itrust,within driving distance. They will buy a fewat a time from me. Not very much for a person who would like to show!

One thing about pets isthat not everyone wants to buy abunny when there's a litterborn; plus I won't breed simply because ONE person wants a pet---whatdoes one do with all the others? That is where rescues comein--adopting a pet from them gives a bun a home , and my house rabbitmany years ago, lived a long time ! This forum has helped meand is helping me still more . I appreciate everyone'sadvice :)

Boy, I do ramble on......sorry :?

Kadish Tolesa :pinkpansy:

I am so impressed with all of the considerationsand possible scenarios that could arise. Good job!Do you have a man in your life to assist you?Hubby? Brother? Co-worker? A large,scary, tattooed, gun-toting man would be best! :D

(Not trying to make light of your worries) But the more intimidating the man, the better.

Good luck! Keep us posted ;)

HiKricket, I have a hubby who loves metons --his appearancemight not intimidate, though.....just too clean-cut:D.

One thing he said was,that people buying rabbits for petsmaynotrealize thatif there'schildreninvolved , they need to be mature enough to handle a bunny--and bunniesare fragile. Some people could even want to return their bunny ifhe/she scratches, or is injured.

Experienced rabbit ownersknow when a bunny is acting out of fright, pregnancy,territorialfeelings, ect. They also know what to do if bun is injured.

I love attending rabbitshows and talking to other breeders.....if someone is interested inbuying or trading me for a certain show rabbit ; I might just meet themthere !

Now if the price of gas would just go down :laugh:

Kadish Tolesa :purplepansy:

Pam brought up a good point about shows...whynot find out if there are any local rabbit shows in your area and youcould meet the person there. You would need to check with theshow secretary to make sure that it is o.k. to sell rabbits that arenot in the show. Some shows do not allow this. Butif they do it will be in a public place and you could meet them outsideor something.

I guess the only drawback would be if they found a different bunny thatthey liked better at the show. Just an idea.

I think a good thing if you are going to haveppl coming to your home, or even meeting them somewhere, you shouldtell someone who doesnt live in your house details about who is comingover. Its not guaranteed these ppl are giving accurate info, but GODFORBID something did happen where you robbed, hurt, etc.. that neutralperson would have info to give to the authorities...i dont know howwell of a relationship you have with your neighbors but they would be agood candate, or a best friend or family member. anyone as long as theydont live in the same place as you. just food for thought! and goodluckwith your enterprise!

It never occured to me it might be illegal tosell bunnies in the parking lot.I only sold three bunnies as pets lastyear.The rest went to 4H projects or other breeders.oops.bluebird

Latest posts

Back