Safe temperature- outdoor question...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoofbeats23

Reaction score
Hi,

My two bunnies live in the house, and since I live in colorado and my house does not have air conditioning the house ranges between about 75-83 degrees during the summer. I give the bunnies fans and frozen 2 liter bottles of water to keep cool but this weekend I'm house/barn sitting for my horse trainer. Since her house will have her 4 dogs and my 2 dogs in it, I'm not sure keeping the bunnies in there will be a good idea, plus they have a giant dog crate condo, so I'm considering keeping them in the barn, in a horse stall, in their condo. There will be a wind break, and shelter from any possible rain, but I'm wondering if the temp change will be hard on them, as it does get in the low 50's out there at night.

Do you think it's a better idea to just put them in a smaller cage and put them in the bathroom or something? I want it to be as low stress as possible...... Any input would be appreciated :) The barn is really too far away for me to leave them at home for the whole weekend.... otherwise I would.

Thanks!

I personally would prefer a smaller cage since it's only for the weekend and keep them in the house. Maybe you can bring a baby gate and close off a room for them? That way they can at least still be a part of what's going on in the house.

Yes, I agree that it would be easier to pop them in a smaller cage... would they be able to stay in the room you'll be staying in? A shower curtain liner would save the floor from any messes.

I think they would be more comfy having you close by, rather than a barn with weird smells, and noises. :)

Hi guys, I put the buns in the smaller cage today just to see how they were in it and they seemed semi-distressed in it.... So they are in their big delux condo (that I brought all the way here!) but for the night I lugged it into the tack room, which is quiet, climate controlled and safe. I just thought it would stress them out more bringing them in the house with 6 dogs, and not have them in their usual cage.... I hate not having them so close, but I think it was the best option.

p.s. I let them loose in a stall today and they went crazy running around and jumping, having a party! so cute, will try to take some pics/vids tomorrow.

Back