Saddle Creek Holland Lops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramble Briar86

Reaction score
Well....I've got a few updates...With Bramble,we figured out that she has allergies, and gave her to a friend we knewwould take wonderful care of her. She'll now be a spoiled rotten indoorbunny! So now i've only got five bunnies....

Here's Smokey, She's two months old today! She's a purebred broken chinchilla holland lop...Her "actual name" is SM's Bambi:

100_1895.jpg

100_1894.jpg

Here's Dally or Dally-Ma-Bob as i've nick named him...He was out of Bramble and Briar:

100_1899.jpg

Here's Dally's father/boyfriend Briar or Bri-Baby as i like to call him, he's 1/4 dutch, 1/4 something and half cotton tail:

100_1904.jpg

Here's Lilac..she's out of bramble and briar (dally's sis)..My Threemonth old doe that will produce "meat rabbits" for me in a month or sowhen she's old enough...(she'sa teenagernow and apain to handle....she grunts vicously if i come three feet near hercage!)

0459dc8e.jpg

Here's Moe, he's my Holland Buck,he's the sweetest bun you'll ever meet, i just love this picture!

100_1892.jpg

Briar and Dally actually live w/ each other. They're two unalteredmales that think the world of each other....I've been watching themlike a hawk to see if they start fighting, it's been around two weekssince they've lived together and they're best of buds!

I plan to breed Smokey to a friend's buck that got reserve at statefair.....i'll keep the best doe out of that litter so i can have twobrood does to breed to Moe.

Ellie

P.S. Pam? Could you help me figure out Moe's color? He's "sunburnt" i know what it looks like but, what does that mean?

Moe looks like a blue. It's not uncommon for the coat to discolor like that from sunlight, urine or just an old coat.

What color are Moe's eyes?

Pam

:inlove:eek:hh! All your buns are to die for! lols. I love them all! Can you give each of them a BIg hug for me?

Take care now,
Katy

No, :( I don't...i got him w/ out a pedigree andfor free....i know it wasn't the wisest move, but when he was checkedout by an awesome bunny friend of mine she said that the only fault inusing him as a stud buck was him being a little low in theshoulders....i may/may not use him, as my friend's buck has awesomeconfirmation, not too sure if he's got papers though....
Ellie

pamnock wrote:
I was curious because the chin gene can be responsible for brown eyes in dilutes.

Pam
I've been doing my homework on the breed, honest....Like how to breedto get true dwarfs, false dwarfs, etc.....Was what you posted referringto if you breed for color??? Or a DQ in showing if that happens?

Ellie

pamnock wrote:
Brown eyes on a blue rabbit are a disqualification in anybreed (except for Harlequins).

Pam
Oh, i see now. Thank you! But, isn't blue where the whole "tube" ofhair is the same, solid color all the way up? he's white underneath...idon't know, i think i pulled that from some late-night reading i didlast night, i probably got it wrong....Will his having brown eyes w/blue body cause problems in breeding? Or could i just sell those as"pets"???

Ellie

The color should extend down the hair shaft asfar as possible, however, the color is generally lense denseat the base. Very light under color on the blue would be aminor fault in the lops.

It's possible he's not a genetic true blue "C" full color, but could bea "cchd" self squirrel. Wrong eye color is not uncommon inthe self chins/squirrels because of the chin gene.

However, the color fault wouldn't be a consideration because the wrong eye color is a DQ.

A homozygous Agouti Chinchilla would be a good color to breed him to and would help to unmask his true genotype.

Pam

Bramble Briar86 wrote:
I feel like i'm beinga pain in the rearasking so many questions but...What exactly is the "agouti" gene...howcan you tell if it's present???

Ellie

Not a bother -- genetics is a special interest of mine :)

The agouti gene is the dominant normal wild bandedgene of thehairshaft. A rabbit with the agouti gene will show 3 or morebands to the hairshaft (except when combined with the steel ornon-extension genes and in some cases, the wideband gene).

Examples of agouti colors are: Chestnut agouti, Chinchilla, Opal, Lynx,Harlequin, Steel, Red, Cream, Frosty, Gray, Copper, Golden, and Orange.

Solid blue is recessive homozygous "aa" in the A series -- so it's notagouti and we know that it can't carry the dominant agouti gene.

Pam

Correct. Breeding the broken chin to aself would also reveal if the chin is a hetero or homozygousAgouti. Ifself babies were produced in an agouti xself breeding, you would know that the Chin also carried the "a" selfgene. A chestnut from the chin x blue cross wouldreveal that the blue is a "C", chins in the litter would show that italso carries the chin "cchd" gene. No chestnuts would highlyindicate that the blue is actually a self squirrel. Littersize isn't always large enough to determine some of these things forcertain.

Pam

Latest posts

Back