sad times

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynnnora2

Reaction score
Hi all,
Been away for a week and my 2nd night had a call off my daughter saying one of my bucks died, I was really upset and gutted as he was a favourite, 2 days later one of my baby rabbits died and before I got home I also lost another 2 babies. Yesterday it looked as if I might lose another baby so I thought, if its going to die, it cant harm it to try and build its strength up a bit. I fed it milk off a spoon, and it managed to eat nearly a full shot glass of it. Anyway, as the day progressed the little rabbit started to lift its head up and looked a little better. I got up this morning thinking I probably would have lost it but to my surprise it was sitting at the food bowl eating, This baby also had really bad runs, it needs a but bath really but this was another reason I gave it milk, thinking it needs more energy to cope with this. Im not going to bath it until I know its fully recovered but my fingers are crossed it survives. As it is pooing more normal now also, I am optimistic it will be ok.

Oh my goodness, how awful for you and probably even more distressing for your daughter. So sorry to hear about the deaths of all of them. Do you have any idea of the cause.

So glad to see your other little baby is doing a lot better, I really hope he goes from strength to strength.

Praying for them all.

Ouch, well my suggestion would be to try taking it to a vet for a medical checkup and keep it nice and warm and cosy on the journey, or if possible get a vet to come over. Sudden deaths like that could indicate a contagious and lethal virus.

I'm sorry about the rabbits you lost. It does sound like you have something contagious affecting them. It could be coccidiosis or a bacteria. A fecal test could determine what exactly. When diarrhea is affecting rabbits they lose electrolytes and can also become dehydrated, so that would be why the milk helped. You can also use something like plain pedialyte to help initially rehydrate them. But the most important thing is seeing your vet and getting the proper medication for your rabbit. Also cleaning and sanitizing is important.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Generalities/Enteritis_en.htm
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

Hi all,
I just wanted to say my rabbit is fully back to normal now, its eating and drinking properly so Im pleased to bits. I lost another of my babies 2 days ago, though this one wasnt acting poorly at all. The rest of my rabbits all seem fine now so I think whatever the problem was has passed, it was just so upsetting to lose so many within the space of a week. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have never found a site so informative and supportive as this one.
Lynnnora x

So hear to hear that little bunny has pulled through but saddened to hear you lost another. As Jenny says, may be a good idea to find the cause just in case it could affect them again.

have you figured out cause of death yet?

If bunnies are dehydrated have you checked their water bottles are working? or if using crocks that they aren't spilling them.

Diarrhoea kills young rabbits particularly very fast.

Are you sure you don't have a pathogen going through your rabbits?

Latest posts

Back