Sad bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becyboo46

Reaction score
Hi I have a lovely mini lop called Sophie . She is 5 1/2 months old. She likes to be cuddled and stroked and generally likes lots of attention. She is also likes to follow me around .Three weeks ago I had her spayed and ever since she has looked sad. She doesn’t binky or want much attention from me. She tends to just want to lay in her own area by her cage , even though she had access to the whole lounge. I know it takes time to recover from her op but I thought by now she would be back to her old self . I’m worried she may never be the same and I miss her cheeky personality. Has anyone else had this experience .

Attachments

• 91982416-21F8-4A91-9CD7-E538F0D8F9B7.jpeg
    91982416-21F8-4A91-9CD7-E538F0D8F9B7.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 5
Yes enough for about three days. She’s healed well and is eating and drinking fine, just isn’t herself yet .
Three days of meds doesn’t sound like a lot. I think my rabbit has 5-6 days of medication and then wasn’t allowed any exercise for 10 days unless he breaks a stitch or gets injured. I’d ask your vet to see what they think and ask if she needs more pain meds. She’ll go back to being herself once she heals

Yes enough for about three days. She’s healed well and is eating and drinking fine, just isn’t herself yet .
Three days of meds doesn’t sound like a lot. I think my rabbit has 5-6 days of medication and then wasn’t allowed any exercise for 10 days unless he breaks a stitch or gets injured. I’d ask your vet to see what they think and ask if she needs more pain meds. She’ll go back to being herself once she heals

After 3 weeks she will have healed and would no longer need pain medication due to the spay surgery.

It could just be that she needs a little extra time for those hormones to dissipate, as with a spay it can kind of mess things up for several weeks.

It could also be that she's at the age where she is maturing. Rabbits dispositions often change as they hit adulthood. They turn from sweet cuddly compliant babies to independent, sometimes opinionated adults. So the change from baby to adulthood can come with a bit of a personality change. I would take time and sit with her so that you can get to know her as an adult and form a new bond with her.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm
Another thing to consider that could cause a rabbit to be more lethargic weeks after surgery, is post operative adhesions. And that is something that would need to be discussed with your vet if you have concerns this has occurred.

Latest posts

Back