Rust on Drop Pans?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsandLops

Reaction score
So I found an amazing deal on 3 double stack cages and just had to buy them, haha have no idea what I will do with them, maybe they will go to my brother. But anyway, I was wondering how to deal with Rust on Drop Pans? Their all metal wire cages, but the wire has a coating on it, but some of the drop pans have a bit of rust, what do I need to do to provent more rust and maybe take care of what's there now?

Oh by the way, it was agreat deal and she throw a 4th double in for free, along with the stackable stands and removeable rolly wheeled cart for each cage! I couldn't pass it up, rust or no rust!

If the buns dont come into contact with the pans just spray on some rustoleum spray paint from any hardware store.
Do it away from the buns and let it dry before using them. ;)

No contact, all wire floors on them, so I will just spray them as soon as I go back to pick them up (I need to use Steve's truck to go get them).

I don't know the brand they are, but they are Huge for stackable cages, and hey I payed about a 1/10 of the price for all of them as you would for one new.

Note: sorry I can't spell, I get in a hurry and doing proof read, English major I swear!

I wouldn't bother. I've been using a pair of metal pans for about 10 years now and a hole JUST went through the one. The other is still very useable So it's hardly worth spending the money on paint and worrying about it every few years when you can just replace the pans when they rust through once every 10 years. LOL!

You can also rotate the trays. Most rabbits only use one corner, so I found that with the tray I previously mentioned- the one corner is rusted through but the rest of the pan has years left on it! So I just put it in backwards from now on. The bunny doesnt use the rusted corner and I don't have to replace the pan yet. But if you rotate the trays regularly, you get more even use on them. :)

That actually sounds like a good idea. These only have a few rust spots, but I may not even worry about covering the rust.

Have you ever looked at any farm stores for pans?

I use plastic pans. Our farm store, farm and fleet has pans in all sizes and shapes and reasonable too. They last forever, even through the seasons of hot and cold.

I will look at them, I know our Dollar Tree (YES Dollar Tree) as some, maybe they would fit. I think they call them "oil pans" but they look like martin pans.

I got the cages home, I am going to have to replace the dividers, the lady couldn't find them, but for $15 for all what could I say! This lady used them for raising persian in, don't know why, but she did. Their nice cages, heavy, huge cages, but they are made for rabbits!

I got the dividers in, used plexiglass, my dad actually had quiet a bit left over from some project. I did have to use one wire piece, but we made sure they were wired in. I am giving half the cages to my brother and half are staying here, for the angoras when they are weaned. I did find a stamp on one that said (I think)Tempton cages, TX, but never heard of them.

Latest posts

Back