Runt or Peanut?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shmarmue

Reaction score
Hi. This is our first experience with our doe having babies. This little guy is 12 days old today and half the size of his 2 other siblings. He's active and strong but I just can't seem to tell if he's a runt or if he's a peanut. Does anyone have any thoughts? In these photos they are both completely zonked out sleeping. We pulled them out of the nest and away from other sibling to take a picture. We've named him Santos. He's oh so cute. I'm just alarmed at how small he is! 12 day old rabbits 2.jpg

12 day baby rabbits.jpg

I just recently had a litter of babies. They are 17 days old. I had one that had the same size difference next to its siblings. She's still small, but she is just as healthy as the others, and she's catching up to them. Hopefully that's all it is!! They are beautiful.

What breed are your bunnies? Peanuts can only be in breeds carrying the dwarf gene. True peanuts die pretty quickly due to underdevelopment. I'm going to say it is just a runt because it has survived this long

He looks like a little runt... be kind to him and make certain he's getting his fair share of milk time! Please keep posting more photos! Good luck and I hope they all survive. If you think he needs supplemental milk you can always buy Kitten Replacement Milk and give it to him with an eye dropper. Be careful and place in the corner of the mouth not near the nose.. they could inhale it and choke. I did this with my Agouti's when they were 4 days old and the mom died..

Good luck and I hope you post more photos!

Vanessa

What an adorable bunch! Aw! Probably just a runt as everyone else is saying! Good on you for noticing the difference and being aware, though! By the sounds of it, he should be just fine. :) I look forward to seeing/hearing more updates on these lil guys as time progresses! They're so darn adorable, I'm almost jealous of all you who have bun's with litters! My two are spayed and neutered. (Not necessarily a bad thing, though hahaha!)

Thank you for all of the feedback. I am so emberassed to say we are 90% sure the buck is our californian. Mom is our dwarf lionhead. I've read that peanuts generally have the bulbous head and small ears and narrow hips and so it's just been so hard to tell! I also read a few articles where people have peanuts survive for pretty significant amounts of time. He's been eating well. So I guess we will see! This forum is a great resource I'm so glad I found it! Attached a better side view of the smallest one and some of the others. I even got one of the little one yawning. Hilarious. Thanks!

20140212_130405.jpg

20140212_100301.jpg

20140212_094231.jpg

20140212_095811.jpg

Here are updated pictures of our 3 babies that were born on 1/31/14/. The tiny one that I was worried about has really thrived and although he is smaller than his siblings (who are we kidding... we don't know genders yet) "he" is growing and doing well!

20140228_134045.jpg

20140228_134950.jpg

20140228_134919-1.jpg

Soooo cute!!

I'm glad that he pulled through and is doing well!

Back