Runny noses - still

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lissa wrote:
Did he/she do a culture for it??

I don't think so. That involves a blood test,right? I don't think we'll have it done now since theirsymptoms have cleared up, thankfully!

I don't think that it requires a bloodtest. I'm pretty sure it's just aculture of thenasal discharge. I'm not positive on that though.So you're vet is not going to test him for it? Pasteurella isdeadly.

Ronnelle, so happy to read that the mystery hasbeen solved!...

Don't feel silly at all ... with buns it's most times the simple thingsthat comprise the mystery. I'm just so glad that all is wellnow.

Thank you for giving us an update on their condition. Givethose sweetie pies a hug, a pet, and a treat from their AuntieBunnyMommy! ... :D

BunnyMommy wrote:
Thank you for giving us an update on their condition. Givethose sweetie pies a hug, a pet, and a treat from their AuntieBunnyMommy! ... :D
I certainly will, thanks! I'll tell them the parsleyis from you, although, I get the distinct impression that don't listento anything I say to them. :)

So it's mere coincidence that both bunnies have allergies to hay? :?

Lissa wrote:
Soit's mere coincidence that both bunnies have allergies tohay? :?
I understand your skepticism. But,their symptoms cleared up with the removal of the hay. Thatcan't be a coincidence, can it? Also, their discharge wasclear; doesn't pasteurella cause colored discharge?

Actually, Lissa, hay, or more appropriately hay dust, is a more common allergen than is generally known. ... :)

Anti-biotics will also clear up aninfection. That's why I am skeptical. I guess if Iwere you, I'd take the bunnies back to the vet for a pasteurellaculture just to be postive. :)

Ronnelle wrote:
Lissa wrote:
So it's merecoincidence that both bunnies have allergies to hay?:?
I understand your skepticism. But, their symptomscleared up with the removal of the hay. That can't be acoincidence, can it? Also, their discharge was clear; doesn'tpasteurella cause colored discharge?

The clear discharge is a good indicator that the symptoms were allergenbased and not symptomatic of an infection. It still continuesto concern me that the vet supposedly did a culture and diagnosed it asan infection when it remained clear. It would have thickenedand started to turn a milky white, then yellow as the infectionprogressed.

Ronnelle, part of ensuring the health of our buns is to find a bunnysavvy vet. It may be that you have one who isn't quite asexperienced in the care of buns as you would believe.

Here's a great link for finding a vet who might be a little more knowledgeable in this area:

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/vet.html

Hope this helps! ... :cool:

BunnyMommy,

Could allergies cause an infection? If their nasal passagesare irritated enough, could that be a trigger? Just athought.

As for our vet, all of the vets in the area recommended him.One exotic vet actually recommended him for rabbits when I calledhim. I'll keep an open mind about him, though.

I tend to agree with BunnyMommy and Lissa on thisone, Ronelle. I am happy that the buns appeared to recoverresoundingly with the removal of the kaytee Hay. Would notdoubt they could both react to the same allergen, in this case,especially if they might be siblings. Did you get themtogether, from the same source? Could be sibs even if theydon't look terribly alike.

The vet situation has me puzzled. Either he misdiagnosedincorrectly initially, or the buns are, in truth, harboring aninfection; in which case one would expect the anti-biotics to have someeffect.

Buns canharbor some pathogens, I believe, without succumbingto them if their auto-immune systems are capable of warding off anoutbreak of the potential infection. I would suspect, though,that a rabbit-savvy vet would understand that and treat accordingly byinvestigating other avenues, like allergies instead, or at leastconcurrently.

Something just doesn't sit right with me in thesecircumstances. Hopefully, the buns will remain healthy andthe vet willremain the questionable part of the mystery...fortheir sake.

Buck

Ronnelle wrote:
BunnyMommy,

Could allergies cause an infection? If their nasal passagesare irritated enough, could that be a trigger? Just athought.
Left to go on long enough without relief the constant flow of mucus inthe membrances could indeed harbor bacterial growth that could resultin infection; however, generally it is easy tovisually note signs of the infection as the mucus would take on athick, first white and then yellow cast. Your babies' mucusremained clear throughout this ordeal.

I still don't trust the initial diagnosis of your vet. Sorry to have to say this ... :(

I would go to a different vet, more experiencedin rabbits. Don't wait on this. Take them in assoon as you can.

Latest posts

Back