Runny noses - still

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronnelle

Reaction score
I'm really at a loss, now. I wrote inlast week about my two rabbits' runny noses (Butterscotch andFloppy). They've been on strong antibiotics for almost 3weeks now and they still have runny noses (clear discharge).I may be crazy, but I've noticed in the afternoons their noses are dry,but by evening they appear moist again. I've read up onallergies and I'm not sure it could be that, unless they're allergic tomy husband (their noses get moist about the time he comes home), butthey sneeze on and off throughout the day. I've cleaned allthe areas they scamper around in theaparmentand Iclean their litterboxes twice a day.

Does anyone have any ideas?

My question is why are they on anti-biotics ifthere is no diagnosis for the runny noses? The discharge canbe cultured to find out specifically what vector(s) may be causing anillness.

If none are to be found, then you would have to start searching forallergens by changing all things in the buns' food intake andenvironment, one by one, until you find the item(s) causing thesneezing.

Buck

The vet analyzed their discharge and said theyhave infections. However, the anti-biotics do not seem to beworking. Would another kind of antibiotic help?

That I do not know, alas! Is it just clear fluid,and nothing of color or thick consistancy. If so, I had arabbit who had a wet nose for for all the four years that we hadhimuntil his death. I thought,at the time, thatrabbits had wet noses, like some other animals. Didn'tsneeze, though.

If the vet has found some pathogen and treatmentisnot working, I would be very guarded in myprognosis. Only other choice is anothervet.

Did you read BunnyMommy's episode with her Sherman. Story notunlike your own. Her's, after much angst, worrry and concernhad a happy ending. I'll see if I can locate it and "bump' itupfor you.

Buck

Hi, Ronelle! So sorry to hear thatyour babies are having problems! I'll try to followthis thread from now on.

I think that Buck may be on to something here. Did your vetactually culture the discharge or did he just analyze thecompilation of symptoms and diagnose them as having aninfection? It really sounds contraindicatory that they wouldbe on antibiotics for a specific diagnosis and would not have respondedin this period of time.

I'm with bunnymummy, I'm wondering if they ran tests on the nasal discharge too????

((((hugs to you)))

Reading this I'm wondering since your rabbitshave the problem from around the time your husband gets home does hewear a strong aftershave or similar?

If it's the same pattern when he's home all day that'd rule him out asa part of the problem, but if it isn't then maybe they're allergic tosomething he has on? I knowjust afterI've had acold my nose is MUCH more sensitive to sneezing and sniffling at anystrong smell or allergy producing substance.

Since rabbits are so sensitive I was wondering if maybe they have gotover the infection but are having an oversensitive reaction at themoment? I'm probably on completely the wrong track here but I thoughtI'd mention it.

Kate

Thanks for all of your responses. The vet did aculture and said they definately have upper respiratory infections.Neither of us smoke, and my husband doesn't wear anything that's strong(and by the time he gets home it's worn off, anyway.) I think I'llstart taking things away bit by bit (hay, pellets etc . . ) and maybethat will uncover something. I just have a hard time believing BOTHrabbits would be allergic to the same thing. But, at the same time, theantibiotics don't seem to be working on EITHER of them. What a mess.Thanks, again.

Hi Ronelle!

We just got Binkie a little over a week ago.

We had checked her out pretty good before we brought her home and evenwaited a week just to make sure. Cleanears/eyes/nose/fur/teeth/feet/etc..etc...etc.

We set her cage up at home and gave her the same brand of hay, similarpellets (she was getting some kind of mixed feed), wire bottom cagew/litter pan underneath, and of course WoodyPet for both in-cage litterpan and the one underneath.

A few days later Binkie developed a runny nose and a little bit more"gookies" in her eyes, but everything was clear so we decided just tokeep a close watch. Everything else about her was normal.

We buy KayTee timothy hay in 6 lb bags. We were just getting to thebottom of one when we brought Binkie home and after a few day I hadopened a new bag. I also noticed that Binkies nose and eyes cleared upquite a bit.

Hence me thinks it's the dreaded hay!!

We'll still keep a close watch on her (as we always do withall of our buns), But I'm going with probable allergies/irritations atthis point.

One thing I have notice about the KayTee hay is that it is not veryconsistent from bag to bag. Some are drier/dustier or coarserfrom time to time. Packaging makes it difficult to check it out unlessyou open it up and stick your hand in it.

:~) Jim

We use KayTee hay! And we switched them fromalfalfa a week after we brought them home. It may be that. But, both?Anyway, I'll stop the hay and see what happens! Thanks!

Thanks! I'll try Oxbow. Butterscotch needs haybecause her teeth are a bit overgrown because when we got her she hadnever had any hay. Lissa, the vet hasn't ruled out pasteurella,unfortunately.

Ronnelle wrote:
Thanks for all of your responses. The vet did a culture andsaid they definately have upper respiratory infections. Neither of ussmoke, and my husband doesn't wear anything that's strong (and by thetime he gets home it's worn off, anyway.) I think I'll start takingthings away bit by bit (hay, pellets etc . . ) and maybe that willuncover something. I just have a hard time believing BOTH rabbits wouldbe allergic to the same thing. But, at the same time, the antibioticsdon't seem to be working on EITHER of them. What a mess. Thanks, again.
Hi, again, Ronnelle. In this case, I would suggest getting incontact with the vet and asking if a change of antibiotics might be inorder. Three weeks is a long time not to have any type ofeffect. My Sherman initially had a URI and his antibioticstarted working by day three. We just had to have him finishout the 10-day course.

Allergies could also be an underlying culprit as you've alreadysurmised. Some common allergens include dust, cleaningproducts, hay, and litter.

Keep us posted! We're here with you to try to divine this most perplexing mystery.

JimD wrote:
OxbowX 6 buns = cha-ching $$ :shock: (i really wish icould afford it, though)

i'm on the Purina/Kaytee budget for now! ;)
I guess I'm fortunate my local Petland just started carryingthe full line of Oxbow products, so I don't have to pay shipping.

Hay it is!!! I took their KayTee hayaway and within 3 hours both noses are dry! I feel so silly,now. But, in my defense, the vet said they had infections, soI thought the worst. Maybe they initially did . . .Anyway, I am so relieved, as is my check book. Those visitsto the vet were really putting a strain on us. As Bunnymommyconcluded in her very similar situation, I'm glad the problem is simplyallergies and not something worse. And, the buns are worththe $$ and time to make sure they are healthy. I bought someOxbow hay from our vet, so I'll give that to them and see if it'sKayTee they're allergic to, or Timothy hay in general. Whowould have thought they'd both be allergic to the same thing!

Anyway, thank you, everyone for your concern and help! Butterscotch, Floppy, and I really appreciate your kindness!

Latest posts

Back