Runny Nose (or Not)?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
I know that rabbits can get a runny nose as a symptom ofvarious possiblebacterial infections. But I'm wondering what exactly usually runs out of their noses when they have one? Does the nose leak like crazy (wetting the fur down to the bunny's lips)? Is it typically a thin, clear fluid, or is it usually thick and very noticeable?

My one girl, Emma (who continues to have on/off stasis issues), seems to have a bit of moisture beneath her nose (really only visible when she's sniffing and her little nose "flaps" are up). And when she nudges me, I can feel a bit of moisture. I don't know if this is normal or possibly a symptom of something else (which, of course, could tie in with the stasis).

Thank you,

Jenk

A rabbit can have a clear runny nasal discharge which often times will be extreme. wetting the rabbit's face. oftentimes this can be the beginning of a bacterial infection and the the discharge will turn yellow or white and the rabbit will exhibit a full blown bacterial infection. A culture can detemine the type of bacteria and a full course of antibiotics would be given. In that case other rabbits should be separated from the sick bun.
A clear runny nose could have many causes including both a symptom of a dental problem and/ or an allergic reaction to bedding etc.
It's good to watch a damp nose but unless it progresses to something greater or there is thick colored discharge there is no need for concern about it.

Ithink that Emma has had a full dental exam done in the recent past. If not, recurring stasis can also be a symptom of a bun in pain or sometimes uncomfortable from atooth spur or some other mouth problem.

Just a thought ;)...

I think thata little bit of moisture is usually normal when you feel their noses (sometimes it can even feel wet bc theres no fur there). I wouldnt worry about it too much unless you really see a lot of moisture or if its yellow or whiteish in color. Ive also noticed some bunnies get a little bit of a runny nose with the season change.

The only reason that I questioned it is because Zoe (acting as my control bunny) seems to have a bone-dry nose. So when I started to feel a lil' dab of moisture whenever Emma nudged me, I wondered. But it's not anything that I'd call excessive, and what bit of moisture she has isn't running down to her mouth.

Come to think of it, Emma's moist nose likely started with the change of the season (as you've mentioned, Haley). I'll keep an eye on it but won't obssess. I promise. :)

Thanks (as always), you guys, er, gals. :D

Jenk

Back