Runny Eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrChelle

Reaction score
I have my bunny in the basement atm, running around. I just went down to check on him and bring him some hay, and I saw that the fur under his eyes is super clumped together and hard. I dont see any gunk on his eyes, but they look like they were running...

Scared me to death, and now Im super worried. Im very broke right now, and out of a job, so I cant afford to take him to the vet.

Anyone have any idea's of whats wrong? Is it serious? What can I do to help him?

Sorry, left out some important info. This is the first time Ive noticed an eye problem with him, and he is about 7 months old. It looks like he is eating/drinking well, and going to the bathroom. Since I only just noticed this tho, he might have changes in his eating/bathroom that I havent noticed yet. He was acting normal tho, from what I could tell. He is unfixed, and was running circles around me like crazy lol

Both eyes? What about his nose? Are there any lumps near the eyes? Is he tender to the touch anywhere on his face?

There are several possibilities. Infection (of eyes, upper respiratory, tear duct) or tooth problems are the most likely. Sometimes the tooth roots grow improperly and interfere with normal functioning of the eye, particularly with it draining fluid through the tear duct. The tear duct can also get blocked with debris. Of these, the one that shows up on both sides at once, is usually upper respiratory infection. Unfortunately there are no home treatments for any of the possible things that could cause this.

One other thing that causes runny eyes in rabbits is called myxomatosis, but it is not found in the US except in isolated outbreaks in CA .

Me and my bf got eye drops and used them on him, and the next morning he was cleared up. Ive been watching his eating/drinking, and he is doing well. Hasnt been pooping as much, but still some. Ill keep a close eye on him for a while, but it looks like he is doing well for now!

Its been a couple of days, and havent seen any more probs :)
Thanks everyone for the support!

Latest posts

Back