Runny eyes on young bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisy-Henry

Reaction score
I have bad my two 7 week old bunnies for three days now. They both have hard patches of fur at their tear duct. Yesterday Henry had a little of goo. How do I bath them? They haven't had their myxomatosis or VHD yet, they're booked in at 10 weeks.

You don't want to bathe them. Bathing a rabbit isn't usually recommended as it can be extremely stressful to some rabbits and that can cause them to panic and injure themselves, or the stress response can also make them ill. You could try using a clean, warm, damp cloth to clean the fur at the corner of the eye. Get that area of fur a little wet then let it sit for several minutes to give it a chance to soak in and soften up the fur so it's not hard and crusty, then you can try wiping it away. You could also try cleaning with sterile saline. If it persists, it may be blocked tear ducts, but with both having the problem, it is more likely conjunctivitis. In that case you would need ophthalmic antibiotics to get it cleared up.

use a warm tea bag on the eye. The astringents in it help the eye to heal and the heat brings out the gick. NOTE: NOT hot, just warm.

Back